AFL provides industry-leading fiber optic products and services across the globe. Our company was founded in 1984 with a single fiber optic cable and now we manufacture over two thousand products, employ over 5,000 associates and consistently generate annual sales in excess of a billion-dollars in revenue. With our commitment to professional growth and employee development, let AFL Connect you to your next career opportunity!
AFL is seeking a Process / Development Engineer at our Corporate office in the Greenville/Spartanburg, SC area. This individual will be part of a high-performance team responsible for the design and development of optical fiber interconnect products for on-card and board-to-board connectivity and associated manufacturing processes. The Process/Development engineer will lead efforts to drive projects from concept, detailed design, qualification, and release to high-volume manufacturing.. This person will be responsible for leading projects that launch the products and technologies that enable AFL to continue its strong growth in new and existing markets.
- Lead new product and process development projects from Concept through Design, Development, Testing and Industrialization while following an efficient stage-gate process.
- Set up processes for small-scale manufacturing for board-level optical interconnect assemblies and board-to-board fiber optic connector assemblies.
- Develop engineering documentation for new products to include product specifications, assembly and component level drawings and models, and bill of materials.
- Coordinate and build engineering prototypes to support all phases for the product development lifecycle
- Write test plans and oversee development and qualification testing.
- Develop written process and test work instructions.
- Develop and implement project plans from concept to release to manufacturing
- Interface with Customers, Product Line Managers, Applications Engineers, Market Managers, Manufacturing Engineers, and Designers during all phases of product development and to support existing products.
- Design and develop products utilizing advanced 3D modeling and analysis software (Pro/E CREO, SolidWorks, Finite Element Analysis, etc.)
- Develop, run and analyze experiments for new and existing products, processes, and materials.
- Apply engineering analysis to make data-driven design decisions.
- Apply DFM/DFA principles (Design for Manufacturing and Assembly).
- Adhere to and promote the environmental, health & safety policies of AFL.
- Perform other related duties as requested, directed or assigned.
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or other similar technical discipline.
- Minimum of 6 to 8 years of technical experience in a product and process development environment.
- Knowledge of mechanical design, including experience with materials selection and sourcing, fixture & tooling design, small metal parts, molded plastic parts, and SLA rapid prototyping.
- Experience in processing optical fibers including knowledge of connector designs, adhesives, assembly processes, fusion splicing and optical testing.
- Experience in designing and developing backplane connectors is desired.
- Familiarity with industry standards for fiber optic connector and connection assemblies.
- Experience with methods for imaging, assembly and automation in a micro-miniature environment.
- Experience with statistical design of experiments, practical experimental design and set-up, and statistical results evaluation.
- CAD Skills. Parametric Solid Modeling Experience (Pro/E CREO, SolidWorks, NX) preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft products including PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Able to travel without restriction to Japan, Mexico and Southeast Asia.
- Likes hands-on engineering.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, and teamwork skills
- Effective time management, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- 5+ years of technical experience conducting Product and/or Process Development
- 5+ years Project Management Experience, with experience creating project plans in MS Project.
- Stronger consideration will be given to candidates that possess both process development and design engineering experience.
- Fiber Optic industry experience, especially design, development, and/or applications
- Demonstrated ability to create innovative solutions/designs (Patents, Intellectual Property)
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information.
How To Apply: