AFL provides industry-leading fiber optic products and services across the globe. Our company was founded in 1984 with a single fiber optic cable and now we manufacture over two thousand products, employ over 5,000 associates and consistently generate annual sales in excess of a billion-dollars in revenue. With our commitment to professional growth and employee development, let AFL Connect you to your next career opportunity!
This is a cross-functional Operator role that includes Line Setup, Line Production, Quality Control, and Rewind / Print Operations associated with the Wrapping Tube Cable business.
The team member is responsible for safely operating all of the production and quality equipment at the AFL WTC site. The candidate must be diligent in adhering to procedures while working safely, being focused on quality, being highly productive, and mindful of costs associated with scrap and downtime. The successful candidate must be comfortable working in a challenging, dynamic, team based manufacturing environment.
The position requires a blend of the Requirements outlined below.
- Adherence to and promote the environmental, health, and safety rules and regulations per AFL company policy.
- Perform efficient and consistent Job Setups in accordance with defined Standards
- Monitor and interpret key process indicators as a driver for improved quality and efficiency.
- Ensure daily / weekly / monthly production goals are achieved.
- Achieve and maintain necessary production process and quality control certifications.
- Continuous accountability to of 5S/Housekeeping principles
- Complete assigned Preventative Maintenance tasks on time.
- Accurate transactional entry of Raw Materials into Jobs
- Conducting QC inspections and completing final inspections at in-process and in-coming.
- Prepping cable for testing.
- Performing accurate dimensional, physical and visual inspection of product as per Inspection Plans and Specification Requirements.
- Testing the transmission capability of fiber in cable with an OTDR.
- Completing required final inspection documentation.
- Filing inspection history records.
- Ensuring calibration and maintenance is performed on inspection equipment before use.
- Creating Non-Conformance reports (NCMIRs) as required.
- Performing other miscellaneous duties as assigned by WTC management.
- Willingness to drive, accept, and implement positive change
- Team oriented well-developed interpersonal skills who is comfortable in a cross-functional, multi-cultural environment. Line will rotate responsibilities
- Ability to make decisions and be accountable to their outcome
- Attention to detail and driven by a Zero Defect mentality in every task performed
- Strong communication and writing skills with the ability to clearly explain issues.
- High School diploma or GED. 2 year Technical Field of Study Associates degree preferred cross functional/ multi-department experience desired for maximum flexibility within the WTC team.
- Must be detail-oriented and driven to mistake-free work as well as have the ability to work unassisted with limited supervision.
- Self-starter with integrity and confidence who strives to achieve even the most challenging environments with limited supervision.
- Able to comprehend and follow work instructions, apply basic math, and use handheld measurement devices.
- Mechanically oriented individual with the ability to solve problems and implement change.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Oracle a plus.
- General understanding of manufacturing operations. Experience in Cabling preferred.
- Climate controlled manufacturing facility.
- Facility and Grounds will be completely Non-Smoking.
- Physical demands:
- Job involves sitting, standing, walking and lifting for periods of time throughout the day
- Able to pass pre-employment physical / drug screen and ongoing random drug screens.
- Must be able to differentiate between color shades (cannot be color blind)
- Must be able to lift between 15 and 40 pounds repeatedly on a daily basis.
- Personal protective equipment requirements:
- Safety Glasses must be worn at all times.
- Steel toes shoes must be worn at all times.
- Some positions may require ear plugs to be worn at all times.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information.
How To Apply: