Do you have a passion for establishing and directing world class manufacturing operations? If so, AFL has a fantastic opportunity for a Manufacturing Process Engineer at our Duncan, SC facility. This facility produces complex fiber optic cables in a zero defect environment.
AFL provides industry-leading fiber optic products and services across the globe. Our company was founded in 1984 with a single fiber optic cable and now we manufacture over two thousand products, employ over 5,000 associates and consistently generate annual sales in excess of a billion-dollars in revenue. With our commitment to professional growth and employee development, let AFL Connect you to your next career opportunity!
The Process Engineer will be a member of the cable Technology team and will be dedicated to improving process performance. He/She will be diligent in applying their engineering skills and experience, driven by data and facts, and comfortable leading teams of operators, technicians, and engineers through projects and problem-solving exercises.
He/She will be accountable for delivering tangible results in support of business plan objectives by implementing improvements, supporting new product industrialization, improving capacity utilization, and managing continuous improvement efforts.
The position will report to the Process Engineering Manager and may be assigned to specific projects and/or responsibility for all aspects of one or more production processes including the assigned technicians and/or operators.
- Lead efforts to improve performance and resolve quality issues by rigorously applying methodical problem solving techniques to contain the problem, identify root causes, and implement sustainable corrective actions.
- Define, measure, and monitor process performance metrics (OEE, Defect Rates, Process RFT, Cp, and Cpk) to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Define critical-to-quality process parameters (speeds, temperatures, pressures) using a Process FMEA or other analytical tools. Then implement measurement and control systems to insure the process operates as required to meet product and customer specifications.
- Provide hands-on engineering support for new product industrialization and initial production runs insuring that the process is capable of safely producing high quality product that meets specification, productivity, and cost targets. This would typically include specifying and documenting process parameters and tooling.
- Manage daily process quality performance to include the investigation of issues, the disposition of items with defects, and the initiation of corrective and preventative actions.
- Interact with customers on technical and quality related topics or issues. Lead all efforts to resolve customer complaints attributed to the process.
- Work with internal and external suppliers of materials, equipment, and services to execute projects, resolve problems, and improve processes.
- Select, design, modify, and maintain tooling, fixtures, and equipment as needed to improve safety, quality, throughput, and productivity.
- Develop and maintain process training and certification documentation to insure that operators clearly understand all position requirements.
- Improve housekeeping and safety by applying the 5S principles and participating in audit programs.
- Support business plan objectives to increase productivity, reduce waste, improve quality, and enhance safety.
- Identify, justify, plan, and lead continuous improvement, new product development, and capacity expansion projects.
- Lead, participate, and support cross-functional project teams as assigned to achieve required objectives on-time and on-budget.
- Work with the Technology Group to develop future products and processes including evaluating, selecting, and commissioning of process equipment.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated ability to solve processing/quality issues as well as improve process output through productivity improvements including changeover reductions and line speed optimization.
- Proficient in advanced problem-solving including 6 / DMAIC problems-solving.
- Practical understanding of workplace 5S and lean manufacturing principles.
- Driven by facts and analysis using advanced quantitative and qualitative techniques such as FMEA, DOE, MSA, and SPC.
- Strong leader with the ability to build strong business partnerships.
- Self-starter with integrity and confidence who strives to achieve even the most challenging objectives with limited supervision.
- Team player with well-developed interpersonal skills that is comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic, cross-functional, and multi-cultural environment.
- Results-oriented professional that is comfortable in a challenging professional environment where complex problem solving is required.
- Strong communicator with the ability to convey complex issues in simple terms to all levels of the organization.
- Solid understanding of quality management systems including current ISO 9001 standard.
- Potential to grow into positions of increasing responsibility based on results and capabilities.
- Intermediate or higher user of MS Office and statistical analysis software such as Minitab.
- Strong analytical, time management and technical writing skills.
REQUIREMENTS & EXPERIENCE
- BS degree or higher in engineering or technology preferably in chemical, mechanical or industrial engineering.
- Five plus years of experience as a process, manufacturing, quality, or project engineer.
- Preferential consideration will be given to those candidates with recent manufacturing experience in fiber optic cable, extrusion, and/or tube mill, metal forming and welding processes.
- Experience leading teams and delivering results using 6 / DMAIC problem-solving methodology.
- Experience working in a lean/JIT/process-driven manufacturing environment.
- Experience performing technical analysis on cable designs is a plus.
- Able to support off-shift and/or weekend operations.
- Green-belt, CQE or equivalent certification is a plus.
- Able to travel up to 10%.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information.
How To Apply: