AFL, a leading fiber optics telecommunications company has openings for Engineering Co-ops in our Duncan, SC facility. These positions will start in May of 2018 and rotate between on the job training and scholastic advancement for three terms. If you are looking for an exciting opportunity while gaining knowledgeable work experience AFL is the organization!
AFL provides industry-leading fiber optic products and services across the globe. Our company was founded in 1984 with a single fiber optic cable and now we manufacture over two thousand products, employ over 5,000 associates and consistently generate annual sales in excess of a billion-dollars in revenue. With our commitment to professional growth and employee development, let AFL Connect you to your next career opportunity!
The positions will provide technical assistance supporting AFL in the areas of design, development, applications, process, and quality engineering.
The Engineering Co-ops will rotate from college and AFL each semester. During the rotations, the co-ops will be assigned to different areas each semester allowing the co-op to gain experience in different areas of engineering.
The Engineering Co-ops will be assigned to work with a senior engineer or manager. The Engineering co-ops will also be supported with monthly meetings and mentorship with the Co-op Coordinator.
Available starting semesters: summer 2018 or fall 2018
Responsibilities may include:
- Research and provide input on manufacturing process related issues.
- Analyze manufacturing data, process flows, and material routings to develop improvement recommendations.
- Document and report results of process improvement recommendations to management.
- Assist Development Engineers in the design and production of products.
- Work with the Test Engineer to design, develop, and build test fixtures to support fiber optic testing to industry specifications.
- Learn test procedures and work alongside technical associates to perform testing utilizing a variety of testing and inspection equipment.
- Create CAD drawings or 3-D models of concept designs, and submit to suppliers for quotation.
- Perform fiber optic testing to troubleshoot product design and processing anomalies.
- Participate in fiber optic training sessions.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelors degree in Industrial Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- At least Sophomore standing with a minimum 2.75 GPA
Competencies for success:
- Display a willingness to learn
- Detail oriented
- Proficient in MS Office
- Proficient in data analysis software programs
- Proficient with CAD software
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information.
How To Apply: