AFL provides industry-leading fiber optic products and services across the globe. Our company was founded in 1984 with a single fiber optic cable and now we manufacture over two thousand products, employ over 5,000 associates and consistently generate annual sales in excess of a billion-dollars in revenue. With our commitment to professional growth and employee development, let AFL Connect you to your next career opportunity!
The Manufacturing Technician will be responsible for safely operating production lines that produce wire and cable for the telecommunications and utility industries. He/She must be diligent in adhering to procedures, focused on producing the best quality products, highly productive, and mindful of costs. The successful candidate must be comfortable working in a challenging, dynamic, and team-based manufacturing environment.
The position reports to the manufacturing supervisor and works under the general direction of the manufacturing team leader who may reassign associates to different production lines as required to meet demand.
The position is located at our Duncan, SC manufacturing facility which operates on a seven day, twenty-four hour schedule. The ability to work nights and weekends is required.
- Adhere to and promote the environmental, health & safety policies of AFL.
- Maintain acceptable attendance in accordance with the policies of AFL.
- Adhere to the production schedule, minimizing changeover times, and meeting production goals.
- Produce products that meet or exceed specifications.
- Accurately enter production and quality data using a computer.
- Achieve and maintain assigned production process certifications.
- Maintain assigned work area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition.
- Assist other operators with machine set-up and operation as needed.
- Document and report quality issues.
- Perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
- Disciplined self-starter with integrity and confidence who strives to achieve goals even in the most challenging environments with limited supervision.
- Team player with well-developed interpersonal skills that is comfortable working with others to achieve shared goals.
- Ethical recognizes the importance of treating other with respect while also following policies and procedures.
- Flexible willing to work overtime as needed and scheduled or on different production lines when required.
- Punctual good time management; recognizes the importance of being on time.
- Adaptable willing to accept new products and machinery.
- Able to comprehend and follow work instructions, apply basic math, and use handheld measurement devices.
- Mechanically oriented individual with the ability to solve problems and implement change.
- Previous manufacturing experience in wire drawing is a plus but not required.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to clearly explain issues.
- Good computer skills. A working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Oracle a plus.
- Ability to pass forklift driving assessment.
- Must have a good command of the English language, both written and spoken.
- High school diploma or GED.
- The plant is not air-conditioned and can be hot and dusty in the summer time; cold and dusty in the winter months.
- 12 hour night shift Must be willing to work 2-2-3 shift schedule (day shift: 7am-7pm and night shift: 7pm-7am) to include alternating weekends. Shift rotation can change and the candidate must be able to rotate between days and nights if needed.
- Physical demands:
- Job involves sitting, standing, walking and lifting for periods of time throughout the day.
- Job requires rolling and turning of reels, cutting different metal types, monitoring lines and distinguishing colors.
- Must be able to lift between 15 and 50 pounds frequently on a daily basis.
- Personal protective equipment requirements:
- Safety glasses, steel toes shoes, and ear plugs must be worn in the manufacturing areas at all times.
- Able to pass pre-employment physical / drug screen and ongoing random drug screens.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information.
How To Apply: