Employer: City of Emporia
Job Title: Education Coordinator David Traylor Zoo
Salary: $0 Hourly
Position Title: David Traylor Zoo Educational Coordinator
Salary Range: $13.62 - $19.26 (Depends on qualifications)
The purpose of this position is to coordinate, develop, implement and deliver the David Traylor Zoos educational programming. Other primary responsibilities include providing assistance in the daily husbandry and care for the educational animal collection, coordinating educational components by assisting with public relations and marketing efforts, and special project/events. The successful candidate will have strong verbal and written skills, organizational skills, and management/leadership skills. This position ensures optimal use of volunteers in aiding David Traylor Zoos mission to educate the public and aid staff in furthering our mission of wildlife conservation.
Essential Functions (includes but not limited to):
- Demonstrates a commitment to the Zoos mission statement and core values.
- Performs duties in a service-oriented manner.
- Recognizes the needs of others and treats others with respect and dignity.
- Maintains good working habits and adheres to all policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of all education programs, on and off-site for all ages.
- Create and implement new education programs meeting David Traylor Zoos mission of conservation.
- Plan and implement on-going volunteer education formally and informally.
- Develop and implement zoo camp and other youth programs as well as special events.
- Supervise volunteers on and offsite zoo grounds.
- Working with the Zoo Director and Lead Keeper, will comply with all Association of Zoos and Aquariums(AZA) guidelines and safety recommendations in the use of education ambassador animals.
- Assist in training of ambassador animals for handling.
- Handle ambassador animals in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Conduct ambassador animal handling training for volunteers.
- Provide on-site and off-site interpretation for zoo guest using both touch carts and other education animals.
- Contribute articles for the publication of Zoo Buzz and quarterly newsletters.
- Manage the development and editing of animal fact sheets.
- Work with other departments to organize special events held at the Zoo and/or surrounding area.
- Birthday parties, scheduled on weekends from October thru April.
- Provide annual reports for EFOZ Board (or quarterly reports as requested)
- Staff classroom on Monday-Wednesday-Friday afternoons
Education Coordinator Position Requirements
- Must have strong knowledge of developmental stages in children.
- Ability to develop and implement curriculum appropriate to a variety of age groups.
- 1+ years animal handling experience.
- Knowledge of wildlife biology and educational methods
Education: Bachelors Degree in Education, Biology/Animal Science, Liberal Arts or related field or equivalent training/experience required.
Skills & Abilities:
- Enjoy people of all ages and skill levels.
- Have strong team building abilities.
- Strong public speaking and writing skills.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft word, Excel and any other pertinent programs.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly, in English, written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to communicate well through written and verbal means with in
How To Apply:
Please apply on-line at:
City of Emporia