See all jobs in Atlanta GA
Job Location: Atlanta, GA
Job Type: Full-time
UTILITY / BOILER ENGINEER - 018320
Headquartered at Atlanta, Georgia-Pacific is one of the worlds leading manufacturers and marketers of building products, tissue, packaging, paper, cellulose and related chemicals. The company employs more than 30,000 people at approximately 300 locations in North and South America.
Georgia-Pacific creates long-term value by using resources efficiently to provide innovative products and solutions that meet the needs of customers and society, while operating in a manner that is environmentally and socially responsible and economically sound. Georgia-Pacific is an independently managed and operated company of Koch Industries, Inc., a private company headquartered in Wichita, Kansas.
Georgia-Pacific is currently recruiting for a corporate Utility/Boiler Engineer to support the Building Products Division. This role will be based in Atlanta, GA.
This position will provide engineering design, project support and technical expertise for 250 MMBTU and smaller stoker type wood and natural gas fired boilers and associated equipment within Building Products. Experience in operations, maintenance, repair, outage planning and engineering (design and application) of wood fuel boilers, thermal fluid heaters, boiler auxiliary equipment, environmental equipment, and associated heat transfer and cooling tower process equipment is desired. Engineer will participate in or preform boiler inspections, prepare system recommendations/specifications, etc. while supporting multiple projects or initiatives at a time during installation and startup.
The Engineer will be required to work in non-climate controlled areas, in confined spaces and in areas from fuel handling through manufacturing to support a project or audit.
- Support project team to understand issues, define scope, develop project, support construction, etc. by providing expertise for utility / boiler systems.
- Conduct or support design reviews for; system capacity, energy demand and system balancing, operating and performance efficiencies (for steam, condensate, fuel and emissions variables), impacts on performance from fuel, equipment load, over fire & under fire air, fan sizing, controls approaches, etc.
- Support emission performance testing (environmental, fuel and steam controls)
- Provide technical performance specifications for new equipment
- Review steam and condensate systems, pumping systems, water treatment systems, etc. Ensure code requirements are understood and followed.
- Participate in project estimate and schedule development, project construction support, project startup, testing, etc.
- Support ongoing boiler operation or auxiliary improvement projects.
- Provide technical guidance to project team, make recommendations, present analytical data to validate project status/recommendations/project scope.
- Review vendor or contractor recommendations to ensure desired results.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering preferably Chemical or Mechanical
- Three (3) or more years of experience in an industrial manufacturing or military environment
- Two (2) or more years of experience in boiler or steam plant operation
- Must have an understanding of thermodynamics and combustion principles
- Must have knowledge and understanding of heat transfer
- Willingness to travel up to 80% of the time (as work and project load require) and work an occasional weekend and/or most holidays.
- Willingness to work in areas without climate control for extended periods of time
- Knowledge of safe work practices
- Efficient use of Microsoft Office products and familiar with AutoCAD
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Able to perform airflow measures & calculations
- Supported development of equipment specifications, equipment selections, inspection report summaries, markups to existing drawings, field data collection, equipment inspections, etc.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks or projects simultaneously
We are an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
Job Category: Engineering
Company: Georgia-Pacific LLC
Job Type: Regular
Georgia Pacific Corporation
Share this job