See all jobs in Newark NJ
Job Location: Newark, NJ
The BRICK Education Network's (BEN) mission is to relentlessly knock down all barriers to students' academic success. Our innovative model aligns an individualized excellent education with the necessary family supports to make sure each and every child can succeed. It's our vision that each and every child will have an unimpeded path to unlocking their limitless potential.
To learn more about BRICK Education Network, please visit http://www.bricknewark.org
English Teacher (Middle School/High School) Benefits
Joining the BRICK Education Network is a great opportunity to be part of an exciting entrepreneurial organization. Teacher BEN's unique approach to transforming public education puts successful students and world-class schools at the center of vibrant communities. Powered by diverse leaders and a commitment to fighting the status quo, the BRICK Education Network is building resilient, intelligent, creative kids by equipping them with a high-quality, nurturing education and thriving, engaged families to support their success from cradle to career.
English Teacher (Middle School/High School) Overview
Role: The BRICK Education Network seeks to hire teachers for the 2019-2020 school year that have a passionate belief in BRICK's mission and a deep desire to work with underserved students and families. The English Teacher must be able to show their passion and content expertise through the student lessons they create. The ideal candidate is solution oriented, uses data to drive their instruction, has a collaborative mindset, takes and implements feedback quickly and has a sense of humility. Teachers must be willing to do whatever it takes to ensure their students' academic success.
English Teacher (Middle School/High School) Essential Functions
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Execute the network created unit and lesson plans to accelerate student learning
- Exhibits superior knowledge in content area
- Build a classroom community by investing in students/families and the iDream values (Innovation, Diligence, Respect, Empathy, A+ Self Control & Model Student)
- Create a positive, safe and collaborative classroom environment for students
- Attend all department, grade and staff meeting, including regular data analysis meetings
- Collaborate with coaches and peers to share best practices
- Participate in weekly and biweekly meetings with coach and implement next steps urgently
- Exemplify the BRICK core values (Faithful Commitment, Relentlessness, Compassion, Savvy Ambition, Restless Improvement and Accountability)
- Utilize data from interim assessments and exit tickets to drive instruction
- Remain empathetic to students' previous experiences when observing and responding to their behavior
- Support all student learning styles
- Teach and enforce the school-wide systems and structures
English Teacher (Middle School/High School) Qualifications
- An unwavering commitment to the academic success and personal development of our students;
- An eagerness to set ambitious, challenging, and tangible goals, and a relentless drive to achieve them;
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and a capacity to remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including strong public speaking skills;
- Bachelor's degree is required, Master's degree is preferred;
- Possession of a current and valid teaching certificate in the appropriate subject/content area issued by the New Jersey Department of Education.
- An ability to meet all state and federal guidelines in order to be fully licensed and "Highly Qualified" according to ESSA;
- Current authorization to work in the United States - A candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment.
Salary, Goals and Employment Period
- Salary Range: Competitive compensation package
- Full time
- Employment Period: 11 Months
- Fringe Benefits: Pension, Health, Vision, Dental
BRICK is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. BRICK promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.