Senior Software Engineer, Networking & Audio Streaming
Sonance, a renowned leader in the residential audio and custom install market, is expanding its software development capabilities. We are looking for a senior-level Software Engineer or SW Engineering Manager with extensive networking expertise, with emphasis on audio streaming and control.
The candidate must be cable of designing and implementing world-class networking solutions on RTOS and Linux-based embedded devices. Familiarity with industry standard audio-streaming solutions (Dante, AES67, AVB, etc.) and their underlying protocols is a must, and direct experience is strongly desired. The ideal candidate is passionate about their work and enjoys working with a close-knit team to build great things for the audio industry.
In this Senior Software Engineer, Networking & Audio Streaming role, you will work closely with the Software Director and company leadership to define and develop networking solutions for our next generation products. You will collaborate with internal and external design partners to develop innovative network streaming and control solutions. As our go-to expert on networking, you will be in the driver's seat for network architecture and protocol decisions. Relying on your technical depth and your passion for creating great customer experiences, you will weigh engineering trade-offs and provide strategic guidance to our team. Your work will be a combination of architecting, defining, inventing, verifying, and managing the work of others. You should be comfortable troubleshooting issues on your own, and able to generate mature and efficient code as needed.
- Develop a new ecosystem of networked audio products including definition, architecture, execution, verification, and debugging the networked audio and control systems.
- Leverage existing networking protocols or develop proprietary solutions to ensure optimal solutions for our customers' experience and company strategy.
- Collaborate with internal and external development teams, leveraging suppliers and contracted resources as needed.
- Develop and execute strategies for network architecture optimization including devices discovery and registration, clock synchronization methods, control messaging, etc.
- Evaluate network security and privacy risks and drive solutions with industry best-practices.
- Program networking solutions for embedded devices, including Linux and/or RTOS platforms running on ARM Cortex-A, Cortex-M, or FPGA-based processors.
- Develop performance indicators to analyze and improve networking performance.
- Research new technologies to enhance products, improve reliability, or lower costs.
Requirements for the Senior Software Engineer, Networking & Audio Streaming Position
- Minimum B.S., M.S. EE or CS preferred, ideally with emphasis on networking, security, communications, IoT, and/or audio
- 5+ years of relevant software development experience, including at least 2 years developing multimedia-related networked products.
- Experience developing software for products based on AES67, Audio-Video Bridging (AVB), Audinate Dante, ST 2110, and/or other audio networking standards.
- Knowledge of network devices including switches, routers, hubs, and access points, etc.
- Extensive knowledge of network protocols, standards, and technologies, including many of these:
- Network management: IGMP, SNMP, ICMP, DHCP, STP
- Internet and Transport: UDP, TCP, IPv4/IPv6, QUIC, HTTP/HTTPS
- Streaming: RTP, RTSP, RTMP, HLS, MPEG-DASH, HDS, SRT, WebRTC
- Security, encryption, authentication: TLS, IPSec, OAuth, VLANs
- Discovery: Zeroconf, mDNS/DNS-SD/Bonjour, UPnP, DLNA, LLDP, SSDP, SLP, NDP
- QoS: DiffServ, RSVP, SRP, FQTSS
- Messaging & web services: RESTful APIs, JSON-RPC, MQTT Time & Clock Sync: PTP, NTP, TSN, TimeSync
- Familiar with network-related concepts & tech such as PoE, OFMDA, Energy Management, VoIP
- Ability to accurately estimate software tasks and work to schedule.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Experience with AV equipment-related control protocols such as NMOS IS-xx and AES70/OCA.
- Bluetooth, WiFi, NFC, and other forms of wireless communications.
- Experience with audio codecs, compression algorithms, and media streaming formats.
- Experience interfacing with residential control systems such as Control4, Savant, etc.
- Familiarity with IoT technologies such as Amazon Works With Alexa (WWA), josh.ai, Google Smart Home, and Connected Home over IP (CHIP).
- Excellent knowledge of verification methodologies, white box testing, test automation, and strong debugging skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (<10% of the time).
What separates the best from the rest
- Expertise with audio sample rate conversion and clock synchronization techniques
- DSP programming and development of audio-related algorithms.
- Machine Learning and Neural Network processing
- Building Cloud-based back-end systems
- Ability to interpret hardware circuits, schematics and block diagrams.
- Effective communication, both written and verbal, including the ability to talk directly with suppliers and contractors.
- Customer- and experience-focused perspective.
- Independent minded yet collaborative by nature.
- Sense of ownership and pride in one's work.
- Rigorous and methodical approach to problem solving.
- Willing to acknowledge mistakes or if they don't know something, a willingness to ask for help, and a hunger to always learn more.
For over 35 years, the Sonance brand has been recognized as a world leader in the design and marketing of quality distributed audio systems including speaker systems, amplifiers, and electronics. Sonance and its parent company, Dana Innovations, have a history of introducing innovative products and concepts to the residential custom install market, many so disruptive as to have created entirely new product categories.
One such product, the world's first in-wall dock for iPod, was launched in 2006 along with the introduction of the iPort brand. Today, iPort is known for its extremely successful line of products that hold, charge, and protect Apple iOS devices. iPort products can be found at point-of-sale stations, in conference rooms, and in high-end homes throughout the world.
Unveiled in 2009, TRUFIG brand products are revolutionary architectural and interior design solutions that allow disparate technologies to share consistent design aesthetics. Typically installed in walls and ceilings, these products are designed to blend into the space and virtually disappear.
Acquired in 2020, James Loudspeaker designs and manufactures high-performance speaker solutions for indoor, outdoor, and marine applications. James products maintain minimal visual presence while delivering the ultimate entertainment experience. And with unprecedented customization capabilities, superior fit and finish, and constant innovation, James has become the go-to audio brand for the world's most exclusive homes.
Sonance, iPort, TRUFIG, and James Loudspeaker are preferred brands in the audio custom install market with products are sold in over 75 countries. We combine technology, innovation, and design into an exciting and fast-growing business on pace to double in size over the next five years. Over 60% of our growth comes from product innovation and new business development. Dana Innovations invests heavily into R&D every year, and the team is committed to maintaining our leadership position while pioneering new markets.