The Field Service Engineer utilizes skills in mechanical, fluid power, electrical and electronic systems to install, repair, and maintain highly automated systems at client facilities throughout the United States and foreign countries. This position also supports sales within the department.
- Installs and services machinery and equipment in customer's establishment, according to specifications.
- Assembles and installs electrical and electromechanical components and systems, using hand tools, electrical testing instruments, and wiring diagrams.
- Repairs and service equipment, following manufacturer's instructions.
- Repairs or supervise the repair of worn or defective machinery or equipment in the customer's plant.
- Modifies previously installed equipment to ensure compatibility with new units or with design changes.
- Consults with customer and engineering staff to resolve design and operational problems.
- Participates in debugging and Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) of machine in manufacturer's plant to become familiar with machine operation.
- Operates machine through trial run at customer's establishment to ensure that quality and operation meet specifications,
- Confers with customer representatives to determine effective methods of machine operation for specific tasks.
- Trains customer personnel in operating, adjusting, maintaining, and repairing machinery or equipment.
- May be asked to assist in the identification of training needs and participate in the development of machine-specific training programs.
- Sells service agreements, extended warranties, materials, etc. requiring extensive technical expertise and support for installation and use.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations that explain products or services to customers and prospective customers.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Associates of Applied Science (AAS) degree in a technical field, or equivalent work experience and demonstrated technical capability.
- Minimum five years of experience in the installation and service of complex industrial systems.
- Must be able to meet security clearance requirements and pass background checks for access to secured customer facilities.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Broad background in industrial control hardware and software, tool and die operations, welding, and fluid power and mechanical systems
- Working knowledge of Windows-based personal computers and software
- Installs equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Effectively repair machines or systems in a timely manner.
- Performs routine maintenance and determines when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Conduct tests to determine whether equipment, software, or procedures are operating as expected.
- Determines the source of operating errors and ascertain the most effective method to resolve the issue.
- Remains current concerning technological developments, design practices, and manufacturing processes.
- Ability to program industrial control hardware, PLC's, motion control, operator interface terminals, and data acquisition equipment.
- Perform complex analysis, plan and perform a wide variety of duties, and have exceptional judgment with experience as a team leader.
- Represent TDS Automation in a professional, positive manner.
- Develops plans to accomplish work and prioritize and organize one's own work.
- Handles multiple, and often conflicting, priorities.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively instruct customer operators and repair technicians.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision