We are looking for a Director Product Development - Storage to join our team!
Headquartered in Hilliard Ohio, Advanced Drainage Systems, Inc (ADS) is the leading manufacturer of high performance thermoplastic corrugated pipe, providing a comprehensive suite of water management products and drainage solutions. Our innovative products and superior drainage solutions are used across a broad range of end markets and applications, including residential, non-residential, agriculture and infrastructure applications. We have established a leading position in many of these end markets by leveraging our national sales and distribution platform, overall product breadth and scale, and our manufacturing excellence. Founded in 1966, we operate a global network of 3,700 employees, 63 manufacturing plants and 31 distribution centers. In July, 2014 we became a public company traded on the NYSE. To enable our continued growth, we are looking to add top talent to our dynamic organization.
We are looking for an experienced and highly capable Director of Product Development with proven leadership skills and a strong track record of achieving results. The Director of Product Development will work across multiple departments, build, and manage diverse teams of engineers from different disciplines, and formulate and execute strategies. Responsibilities are focused on designing commercially viable and profitable products based on strategic direction.
To be a successful Director of Product Development, you should have exceptional foresight, superior communication skills, working knowledge of different engineering disciplines and how they relate to one another, and an aptitude for managing risk. Ideally, candidates will have proof of their supervisory and technical skills, and an appreciation for the complex nature of the industry.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to
- Design commercially viable and profitable products based on strategic direction from the VP of Product Development
- Consult VP of Product Development and synthesize information from Product Marketing to establish design specifications
- Clarify and solve any design issues that arise
- Collaborate with Materials Science and Manufacturing Engineering to determine how materials and production processes work with new and renovated product designs
- Produce design sketches and prototypes for product improvements and innovations
- Develop methodology and protocols required to evaluate product designs
- Test product designs using relevant tools and technology, including computer models, prototypes, and CAD
- Present technical Product Engineering data and concepts in executive-level communications
- Submit proposals and designs VP of Product Development and other relevant stakeholders
- Develop materials to shepherd designs through the stage gate process
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
This position should possess the following skills/knowledge
- Experience developing new products involving structural part design & development, including injection molding
- Project management skills & experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior critical thought and analytical skills
- Technical expertise in CAD, mold design, and finite element analysis (FEA)
- Ability to translate complex data into executive-level communications
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment
- Ability to think creatively and problem-solve
- Aptitude in operating laboratory equipment to prototype and develop models for product designs
- Bachelor's degree in engineering
- Graduate degree or MBA desirable
- Six Sigma experience and certifications desirable
- 5+ years in a product development role, ideally in plastics manufacturing
- 5+ years managing a team
- Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting, to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time, to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard, and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
- Ability to visit construction sites.
- Ability to lift 50lbs