DEPARTMENT: Buying Office
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Purchasing
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
POSITION TYPE: Full-Time
The Merchant is responsible for procurement of materials, both raw and finished goods, to support the company needs and maintain its operations. They provide assistance for contract services needed to maintain the sourcing and supply chain of retail store merchandise.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops seasonal plans at retail that deliver the following targets: retail strategy, sales and profit, item strategy and inventory control, merchandise placement and execution, promotional plan.
- Develops, plans, and executes major launches via public relations and/or event plan.
- Plans and executes the inventory strategy and sales presentations for new launches; directs the training and selling requirements.
- Monitors visual presentation of merchandise.
- Reports on the status of merchandising efforts in an accurate and timely manner; analyzes data and directs changes to improve success of merchandising plans.
- Provides communication and training materials as needed on all features, benefits, and merchandising concepts of products.
- Works collaboratively with store manager, marketing team, inventory control, and other departments to ensure the success of merchandising programs and plans.
- Develops merchandise sources; solicit bids and quotes; evaluates vendor reliability.
- Coordinates purchasing details with vendors including but not limited to pricing revisions, order cancellations, discontinued items, acceptable situations, back orders, delivery date revisions, and invoice discrepancies.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- May be required to travel out of town for shows and training
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum 3 years purchasing retail merchandise experience is preferred but will consider 7 years purchasing retail experience in lieu of a degree.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Must be detail-oriented and highly organized with the ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Must possess basic math skills and excellent presentation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communicator who thrives on solving problems in a team environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs
- Able to multi-task and have a sense of urgency to meet deadlines
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-pasted environment and be able to manage multiple tasks at once
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation(s) may be made to enable individuals with a legal disability to perform the essential functions of this position. This position is semi-active and requires sitting for up to 8 hours a day, constant uses of hands and fingers, and occasional standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, and climbing throughout the day. The employee may frequently lift and/or move items weighing up to 50 pounds.