See all jobs in East Peoria IL
Job Location: East Peoria, IL
EOE STATEMENT: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: WHO WE ARE
Goodwill Industries of Central Illinois is a non-profit organization with 11 stores, five donation centers, a logistics center and an online auction site. In addition, we operate two employment service centers and a veterans' home. The money raised by the sale of donations goes to fund our free programs. Goodwill helps people find jobs, assists our veterans with job services and resource referral, matches young people with mentors and operates a 15 bed veterans' home. Goodwill has been serving Central Illinois since 1934.
MORE THAN JUST A TEAM
Goodwill employees are more than just a team. They are a close-knit group of people which enjoys fostering friendship and support. Goodwill employees work together knowing that, as a non-profit, their job means someone is getting the assistance they need. It's working with a purpose.
The Warehouse Worker/Material Handler works quickly, safely, and efficiently to handle donated goods, salvage and various recycling materials. This position is physical and must be able to lift, push and pull up to 50lbs continuously and use various equipment in a safe and efficient manner - baler, pallet jack, forklift, walkie-stacker...etc. This is a vital role that keeps up with the ebb and flow of donated goods throughout Goodwill's territory so we can better serve our communities.
Summarized Essential Responsibilities
- Expedites the flow of donated goods between the processed, storage, dock areas, and salvage.
- Load and unload tractor trailers with donated goods.
- Operate a forklift, baler, and pallet jacks in accordance with OSHA standards. Performs preventative maintenance checks.
- Transports materials via the use of a pallet jack.
- Loads and operates baling machine. Prepares baled merchandise with final control standards.
- Organizes and stack recycled materials from community donations.
- Dispose of metals for recycling.
- Organize and maintain cleanliness of work area.
- Sorts and processes donations.
- Identifies and produces salvage according to requirements. Maintains accurate records and reports such as donation and gaylord counts, and supply orders.
- Performs janitorial and housekeeping duties.
- Complies with all safety standards for lifting and moving materials, operating equipment, and wearing PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).
- Adheres to store scheduling as agreed upon with management.
- Other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: Summarized Requirements and Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- One or more years of related experience
- Possesses basic math skills
- Conveys information clearly through verbal and written communication
- Works independently while fostering a strong team atmosphere
- Demonstrates the ability to be consistently at work and on time on scheduled work days
- Requires ability to lift and move donations of textiles and wares
- Requires ability to perform sorting and packing tasks to secure donations
- Ability to apply decisions appropriate for situation at hand, and which are in the best interest of Goodwill
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Stands and for long periods of time throughout the day, 4-8 hours
- Lifts or moves up to fifty (50) pounds
- Requires the ability to perform a combination of tasks for extended periods such as stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, crawling, lifting, reaching, carrying, pushing or pulling objects
- Works in a industrial/warehouse environment with exposure to heat and cold
- Subject to exposure to allergens including dirt, dust, mold, metals, rubber, plastics, and latex
- Ability to use a pallet jack with loads of up to 500 pounds
- ***This position requires successful completion of a pre-employment Fit Test***
LOCATION: IL, East Peoria
CATEGORY: Warehouse Operations