Primary Role: As the key Quality leader across all 8 manufacturing locations for Vinyl Liner Packaged Pools Division, the Director is responsible for defining and ensuring world class performance for product quality. This role (1) develops and implements specifications, monitors production quality, reports, and drives actions to reduce overall cost of poor quality, by developing specification, driving process improvement programs to reduce waste and customer complaints; (2) champions quality process reengineering to impact profitability and successful quality objective outcomes; (3) serves as a quality subject manner expert; and (4) acts as a key driver for business initiatives through the annual operating plan, Management By Objectives (MBOs) and accountability for the business key performance indicators (KPIs).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive significant improvements to key quality KPIs including returns & allowances ($ / occurrences), customer complaints, scrap and rework $. Data driven action plans.
- Drive improvements with a hands-on deployment of clear metrics, standard operating procedures (SOPs), process control technologies, training, lean/six sigma concepts, quality systems, process mapping, data-driven quality strategy (DMAIC), re-engineering and cultural shift.
- Work with the Division VP and Quality VP to develop the Quality multi-year strategy to embrace the concepts, principles and philosophies of lean manufacturing and world-class quality systems.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Quality team including interviewing, hiring, and training employees, planning and assigning and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Collaborate with Fiberglass, Auto Cover and Package Pool VPs and Plant Managers, Director of Warranty, Sr. Director of Customer Service, and other members of management as required to drive Quality improvement initiatives.
- Establish a strong leadership presence, interacting with department employees, dealers, customers, suppliers and all levels of leadership.
- Ensure that the customer (internal and external) needs are understood properly, and the products are delivered on time from a quality perspective.
- Communicate frequently and openly to motivate team members to achieve department goals, to maintain clear channel of communication across the organization and with customers.
- Champion a safety-focused environment; ensure all safety regulations and activities are successfully achieved in conjunction with quality standards and programs.
- Collaborate on projects with other department such as product management, IT, Human Resources, Production Planning & Scheduling, Shipping, Quality, Customer Service, Design and Sales to improve quality, manufacturing processes and plant performance.
- Maintain an excellent working knowledge of plant operations, as well as leading continual improvement initiatives in conjunction with plant operations teams.
- Be a change-agent and team player who can work closely with the team to introduce contemporary operational practices to the facility and help create high performance work teams.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree, with a preferred minimum of 7+ years of Quality management experience in a manufacturing environment, lean manufacturing management experience (Associates degree with commensurate experience may be considered)
- Advanced experience with lean manufacturing tools and statistical analysis
- Preferred certifications: 6S/5S, Safety, Lean Green Belt
- Preferred experience in the vinyl welding and metal fabrication
- A breadth of business acumen and experience that enables good business judgment and risk assessment.
- Strong computer skills, knowledge of contact management systems, database software, inventory software, order processing systems; project management software, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong analytic skills and process focus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Outstanding teamwork, project management, and budget management
- Proven ability to solve complex problems and lead teams to solve complex problems
- Thrives in a fast paced environment where high energy and resiliency are required
- Must be physically able to walk the plant facilities
- Travel requirements: approximately 25% of the time with flexibility for overnight travel as needed