Under the direction of the Model Shop Lead, the Senior Machinist and Model Maker is someone who performs each essential duty satisfactorily in accordance with company policies and procedures.
General Shop Duties
- Fabrication of parts per supplied print within required tolerances.
- Fabrication of prototype machines per supplied design specs.
- Fabrication of complex three-dimensional models translated from industrial and mechanical design, with high / show quality resolution.
- Highly skilled in the operation of all shop equipment in a safe and productive manner.
- Demonstrates a very high proficiency in the core competencies of the model shop which include model making, machining, welding, painting, bending, and shearing, along with forming wood and foam.
- Is a proven leader in the 5S and preventive maintenance efforts in the model shop.
- Define project objectives and accurately create and meet project schedules and timelines.
- Provide project timelines and progress reports to engineering and managers as needed.
- Assist and or train others to ensure that their timelines are met as well.
Resource Management: Allocate resources including manpower, material, equipment, vendors, and shipments to ensure that timelines are met.
Staff Training: Train or assist in the training of shop staff in all aspects of model making, CNC machining, hand forming, painting as needed.
- Creates and follows the safety rules regarding the safe operation of all shop equipment.
- Is a leading example in regards to proper shop educate and maintaining a safe working environment.
- Ability to train personnel in safety and equipment operation and guidelines.
- Produces high quality work consistently meeting or exceeding timeframes and milestones.
- Viewed as a resource for quality support to shop personnel and brand customers.
Research & Development
- Quickly translate loosely defined projects into finished projects.
- Lead, collaborate and train others on projects as needed.
Marginal Job Functions:
- Other projects as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Journeyman level, two-year degree in machining, model making, or equivalent experience is required
- Minimum of 5-7 years of related experience
- Expert level in machining, prototyping, or model making is required
- Extensive experience working with varying materials such as wood, metal, foam, and plastic is required
- Extensive experience in painting and paint systems is required.
- CAD / CAM experience along with working knowledge of SolidWorks is required.
- Proficient in the operation of all shop equipment in a safe and productive manner is required.
- Proficient in reading blueprints and understand geometric tolerances.
- Must be skilled in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Valid driver's license required for local travel.
- Formal machinists training with a high mechanical aptitude.
- Train others in the proper setup and operation of the lathes and manual mills as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently hit tight tolerances as needed.
- Viewed as a leading resource in the machining of all materials accurately including steel, aluminum, plastics, HD foam, and wood.
- Ability to train others in the reading of blueprints and the understanding geometric tolerances.
- Ability to train others in the set up and operation of CNC mills, along with a thorough understanding of G code programming.
- Ability to train others in the programming of the CNC mill using CAD / CAM software, using supplied CAD files such as SolidWorks.
- Ability to produce three dimensional CNC models from CAD files.
- Ability to train others in the programming, set up and operation of the CNC plasma cutter.
- Proficient in the use of the MIG welder and trains others in the proper use as needed.
- Proficient in the use of the TIG welder and trains others in the proper use as needed.
- Proficient in the use the Oxy / Acetylene torch and trains others in the proper use as needed.
Brake / Shear
- Trains others in the layout of sheet metal and use of the shear to safely cut material within required tolerances.
- Trains others in the layout of bend lines and use of the brake to safely bend sheet metal to meet required tolerances.
Woodworking: Trains others in the use of all wood shop equipment including saws, planer, jointer, drill and sander safely.
- Exceptional working knowledge of plastics, foam, wood, and metal.
- Trains others in the hand forming of materials such as high-density foam, wood, and sheet metal.
- Ability to translate industrial and mechanical design into three-dimensional works.
- Trains others in layout, setup and the machining of three-dimensional models on CNC machining center.
- Ability to produce ultra high resolution / show quality models.
- Experience with FDM modeling and finishing.
- Ability to cast complex urethane three dimensional parts from RTV molds created from FDM or foam models.
- Ability to scale drawings for small scale modeling.
- Trains others in the preparation of all materials for painting and can prime and paint to the highest level of resolution required.
- Leading resource for knowledge of painting, paint systems, and procedures.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong sense of initiative and a sense of urgency, demonstrated by accomplishing tasks; improving current work processes; and assisting others when necessary
- Unwavering attention to detail and commitment to world-class quality
- Ability to embrace deadlines
- Able to project a positive and professional demeanor to all internal and external contacts
We offer an excellent compensation package and team-oriented work environment with growth opportunities.
Some of our outstanding benefits include:
- Health & Dental Insurance
- Company paid Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off benefits
- Free access to our state-of-the-art onsite workout facility
- Product discounts
- Wellness programs