Hospital and Healthcare Controller
West Des Moines, IA
A major hospital and healthcare group in Nebraska is seeking a Controller to oversee all aspects of the accounting function. This position is compensated in a range of $140K-$190K based on experience. There is a great deal of growth potential as this executive will be selected for their long-term career potential with the hospital group. We are looking for a CPA (it does not have to be current) with a minimum of six years in accounting and public accounting experience in particular, including four years of familiarity with the finances of the healthcare industry.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Controller will be responsible for directing and supervising the financial accounting and reporting functions of the hospital group and all related entities. The Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the board finance and audit committee and will work closely with the senior leadership team and peers across all entities. The Controller will also work closely with service line leaders, human resources and information technology and their staffs to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures and to explore how the accounting and finance functions can support their operations. Responsibilities include general accounting, payroll, accounts payable, tax compliance, financial statement reporting and analysis, capital and investment structure, and audit.
- The group has a 640-bed medical center.
- Oversees clinics, offices and a regional hospital network.
- Over 4,000 employees serving patients throughout Nebraska and the western Midwest.
- Please have public accounting experience AND healthcare in your background. The CPA is required but does not need to be current.
Roles and responsibilities
- Plans, organizes and coordinates financial operations of the group and all its entities to control receipts of revenue, expenditures of funds and conservation of assets.
- Consistently analyzes financial data and presents financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicates monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements; monitors progress and changes and keeps senior leadership abreast of groups financial status.
- Supports the CFO in engaging the board`s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, anticipating future legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports, and advising management on needed actions.
- Coordinates year-end audits with public accounting firm to assure limited adjustments.
- Provides adequate cash forecasting so operating and capital expenditures can be met.
- Works with investment and debt consultants to implement plans and strategies approved by the finance committee, and maintains relations with debt rating agencies.
- Provides leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization, and creates and promotes a positive and supportive work environment.
- Hires, orients, supervises and evaluates staff under direct supervision.
- Keeps Vice President-Finance/CFO informed on the status of operations.
- Complies with all regulatory requirements such as taxes, payroll, and fiduciary compliance as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of all Federal, State, and regulatory agency requirements affecting not-for-profit and healthcare institutions.
- Knowledge of computer hardware equipment and software applications relevant to work functions.
- Knowledge of process improvement and financial methods and practices.
- Ability to analyze problems logically, identify priorities and implement effective work strategies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of management both inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to consistently and effectively perform work in stressful and time constrained situations.
- Ability to schedule, direct, counsel and evaluate employee work and performance.
- Ability to balance and prioritize diverse management and financial responsibilities.
- Bachelor`s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Masters degree and CPA preferred. (CPA strongly desired).
- Minimum of six (6) years accounting or finance experience, with four (4) years in healthcare accounting/finance required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of management experience required.
- Experience in complex or larger organizations preferred.
Posted On: Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Compensation: $140,000 - $190,000
HOW TO APPLY:
Iowa Career Connection