See all jobs in topeka KS
Job Location: Topeka, Kansas
The Alliance for a Healthy Kansas, a statewide coalition of over 100 organizations focused on engaging consumers and community members on important health issues, is currently seeking an Executive Director to provide overall direction and policy strategy for the Alliance. The Alliance’s mission is to work as a collaborative and unified group of organizations to improve Kansas’ health care system by advocating for consumer friendly policies that improve the lives of all Kansans.
The Alliance is a project of Kansas Grantmakers in Health, a collaborative effort of health foundations that provide financial and other technical support to nonprofit health and advocacy organizations in Kansas. The Alliance is housed at the Kansas Association for the Medically Underserved (KAMU), which serves as the fiscal agent and provides office space and administrative support to the Alliance and its staff.
The Alliance for a Healthy Kansas serves as a leading coalition of consumers and community members advocating on state and federal health issues, including access and expansion of Medicaid; state benefits rules, funding and guidelines; children’s health benefits and programs; and other key issues of importance to Kansans.
The Alliance staff and coalition members work in communities throughout Kansas, encouraging people and organizations to advocate for policies aimed at assuring everyone has the opportunity to attain their highest level of health. The Alliance’s membership is wide-ranging and includes business leaders, physicians and hospitals, social service and safety net organizations, faith communities, chambers of commerce, advocates for health care consumers, and many more.
The primary policy goal of the Alliance is to expand KanCare, Kansas’ Medicaid program, to cover more Kansans. The Alliance is pursuing this health policy goal with a cohesive, integrated policy and advocacy approach that includes community and voter engagement, communications, policy maker education and lobbying strategies, all working in tandem.
In addition to working with over 100 organizational members and thousands of grassroots supporters to expand KanCare, the Alliance played a pivotal role over the past year in providing background information to explain and defend the access gains made by the Affordable Care Act during national health care debates. The Alliance also works to improve KanCare, the state’s Medicaid managed care program.
Scope and Responsibilities of the Positions:
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall direction and policy strategy for the Alliance for a Healthy Kansas. The Executive Director reports to Kansas Grantmakers in Health (KGIH) and works collaboratively with the executive leaders of KGIH to develop the Alliance’s policy agenda and strategic priorities. The Executive Director is responsible for steering the policy and advocacy priorities of the Alliance in partnership with the Alliance’s steering committee, staff, consultants and other constituencies, including health providers and other associations and organizations.
The position requires an individual to work in communities throughout the state and to engage grassroots supporters in communities throughout Kansas. Dedication to a theory of change rooted in grassroots advocacy and building a statewide network is required. As a result, the position requires flexibility to work extended hours as needed and a willingness to travel from border to border of the state.
In addition, the Executive Director is charged with maintaining the financial health, accountability and integrity of the organization and establishing and carrying out plans for financial stability.
The Executive Director is responsible for managing day-to-day operations at the Alliance, providing support to KGIH, the steering committee and committees of the Alliance, and building the organization’s position as a leader in health care policy, advocacy and communication.
Areas of responsibility include strategic/operational planning, staff leadership and management,fundraising, financial management, public relations, grassroots outreach and management, and steering committee and coalition support and development.
More specifically, the Executive Director will:
- Advance policy goals to improve consumer access to quality, affordable health care and support strategies to continually advance and protect a consumer focused health care agenda in Kansas.
- Lead the steering committee and staff in strategic thinking to develop a strategic vision for the Alliance that will result in specific objectives for the organization; oversee the implementation of objectives, and periodically measure the outcomes of the objectives.
- Work with staff and partners to develop a coalition and grassroots outreach plan that engages Kansans and organizations in advocacy efforts that support the Alliance’s policy agenda.
- Maintain and grow the Alliance’s grassroots and coalition membership.
- Provide leadership to the Alliance’s steering committee, engaging all members towards the vision and mission of the organization.
- Oversee and coordinate the development, implementation and continuous monitoring of annual operating budgets, project budgets and long-range budgets.
- Develop and manage a strategic communications program that optimizes the public image and overall awareness of the Alliance’s policy agenda and increases public engagement with the organization.
- Initiate and develop partnerships and other collaborative relationships with leaders in the field of health care policy and advocacy.
- Hire, lead and manage the staff of the Alliance, providing performance measures and evaluation, and career development. Create a results- and team-oriented environment that both challenges people to succeed and rewards outstanding performance.
- Work collaboratively with KGIH to develop and execute a consumer-focused health policy agenda.
- Actively identify funding opportunities and development plan for the Alliance beyond support from KGIH members.
Ideal candidates for the Executive Director position will have a passion for the mission of the Alliance and an ability to articulate a vision for the organization and inspire enthusiasm and support for the mission in others. In addition to being committed to creating change through partnership and community engagement, the candidate should bring f deep experience and an equal level of comfort working with members of the public in communities of all sizes, the state Capitol in Topeka and with
policy makers and the media.
The candidate should be viewed as ethical, reliable, a responsible risk-taker and an innovative thinker. The ideal candidate will demonstrate ability to solve problems and build consensus among various groups, as well as the ability to work comfortably with individuals in urban, suburban and rural communities and diverse professions.
Salary and Benefits:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in senior leadership positions with a clear record of achievement; experience as an executive director preferred.
- Experience in and knowledge of the nonprofit sector, through previous employment or board of director’s service with a 501c3 organization.
- Ability to network, build partnerships, and manage relationships.
- A proven advocate and organizer with a record of accomplishment of success building support for an agenda in communities and in the legislative arena.
- Connections in or knowledge of Kansas, especially as it pertains to health care policy, advocacy, and the policy making process.
- Highly comfortable working and communicating with diverse audiences, such as the media, elected officials, corporate leaders, volunteers and other constituencies.
- Track record of developing and managing communications campaigns in the policy making arena that includes social media, targeted email, web-based strategies and earned media strategies.
- An outstanding leader and manager who develops and motivates the team to deliver exceptional performance and navigate change.
- Ability to develop and maintain a long-term financial plan that will allow for sustained success of the organization.
- Ability to demonstrate understanding of external factors and trends that impact the Alliance’s mission and the environment in which it operates: e.g., trends in health policy, governmental funding, nonprofits and philanthropic institutions, etc.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and an orientation to detail.
- Superior writing and communication skills that are effective reaching a range of audiences.
- Supports best practices in governance and operations, including transparency and accountability.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters preferred, or equivalent knowledge and experience.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package.
Applications should include a letter of interest and a resume or curriculum vitae. Interested persons may submit questions and applications via email. . Applications will be taken on a rolling basis. The first review of applications will take place on February 15, 2018.
How to Apply:
Include a cover letter explaining your strengths and interests along with your resume.
Alliance for a Healthy Kansas
309 East Douglas
Wichita, KS 67202
Kansas Health Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.