Job #: 23702
Title: Department Head - Electrical Engineering
Job Location: Houston, Texas - United States
Salary: $110,000.00 - $135,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly
Employer Will Recruit From: Regional
Arcitectual or MEP firms
Relocation Paid?: Negotiable
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
The Electrical Department Head provides department management and technical direction in an engineering discipline within an office. Responsible for staff management, production scheduling, and technical quality for the design discipline within the office. Ensures all engineering products, initiatives, and processes conform to the organizations established policies and objectives. JOB DESCRIPTION
- Performs resource management duties for the department such as weekly man hour assignments and allocation
- Manages the staffing levels and utilization of the department by tracking department performance statistics, maintaining communication with team members, and facilitating employee reallocation
- Interfaces with client relationship managers (CRMs) and project managers (PMs) to determine specific project staffing needs and discuss staff performance successes and areas for improvement
- Assures that design engineering services are commensurate with professional standards, client requirements, and corporate objectives
- Maintains knowledge of new technical developments in the discipline and assists technical leaders in the dispersion of this knowledge
- Oversees and guides project teams in carrying out design and engineering tasks
- Responsible for the technical quality of work performed within the department, overseeing the technical staffs implementation of project QAQC plans developed by project managers
- Reviews unusual or complex design problems and provides guidance for their solution
- In collaboration with other department heads, establishes expectations and processes to achieve effective inter-discipline coordination and communication
- Resolves disputes and conflicts that develop within the department or with other departments, working on process improvement to alleviate future disputes
- Approves timesheets and expense reports per company policies and project allocations
- Evaluates the performance of technical staff and provides salary and bonus recommendations
- Leads the recruitment, selection, and development of engineers and designers for the discipline
- Maintains technical expertise within the department through technical training, including facilitating development through internal department training
- Coordinates standards with Technical Resource Group and ensures adoption of standards by staff
- Communicates and interacts with clients and vendors
- Performs senior engineer and project manager responsibilities on projects as needed
- Ability to meet with architects and other team members to determine appropriate electrical systems, location of electrical elements, and preliminary cost estimates.
- Perform appropriate field work to determine design direction, including evaluation of existing electrical components for re-use and retrofit.
- Work with architects, clients, and other engineering disciplines to coordinate systems during design and production drawings.
- Ability to prepare contract documents using latest version of AutoCad and/or Revit software to design and provide concepts for schematic design packages.
- Ability to develop technical construction specifications to appropriately support project design and drawings.
- Prepare design development and construction documents, including coordination with engineering team.
- Ability to oversee, and mentor, less experienced engineering and architectural team.
- Assist in electrical construction administration of the project, including shop drawing review, site visits, cost proposal evaluations, and response to questions from the field.
- Strong written and communication skills are a must with the ability to multi-task working on simultaneous project assignments, each in different phases.
- Excellent client interface capabilities and organizational skills.
- Enthusiasm and eagerness for continued education and development of new skills.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering
- 10+ year`s experience in a consulting engineering firm or
- 15+ years of applicable experience in electrical design.
- Must have a Registered Professional Engineer
- Management experience a plus
- Revit MEP experience a plus
- Large commercial experience a plus
- 3+ years of experience managing projects from small to large scope and complexity
- An expert within the discipline of his/her expertise
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Registered Professional Engineer
- 10+ years of experience designing electrical power, lighting, fire alarm and low voltage building systems
- US Citizenship or Green Card required
University - Bachelor`s Degree/3-4 Year Degree
How to Apply: