Job #: 5419
Title: Head of Mechanical Engineering (Senior Director)
Job Location: Elmsford, New York - United States
Salary: contact recruiter for details
Other Compensation: DO NOT SHARE SALARY RANGE
Employer Will Recruit From: Nationwide
Full executive relocation
Relocation Paid?: Yes
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
We have a new opening for a Head of Mechanical Engineering with a longstanding client; a multi-billion ($8B+) global medical diagnostics / instrumentation company. They have strong revenue growth, a stable environment, very low turnover, and offer the opportunity to work on customized, complex medical products that impact people`s lives. We are looking for a strong, dynamic leader to upgrade the global engineering department and focus on next generation products/projects. It will lead a team of 80+ people across 3 sites.We have a new opening for a Head of Mechanical Engineering with a longstanding client; a multi-billion ($8B+) global medical diagnostics / instrumentation company. They have strong revenue growth, a stable environment, very low turnover, and offer the opportunity to work on customized, complex medical products that impact people`s lives. We are looking for a strong, dynamic leader to upgrade the global engineering department and focus on next generation products/projects. It will lead a team of 80+ people across 3 sites.
The products are very complex systems; large instruments with precise components. These instruments have precision drive mechanisms, robotics, sensors, electromechanical components. The teams have low turnover, tenured technical staff that consist of very bright, innovative engineers. The focus is to continue to enhance skill sets, bring out-of-the-box ideas and leadership to the group, and become a best-in-class engineering department in every fashion. A large element of this role will be understanding products (and leading teams) who work with mechatronics or complex custom instruments. JOB DESCRIPTION
Responsible for quality, timeliness and costs of all Mechanical Engineering designs for all development projects within the division.Candidate must demonstrate expertise in Mechanical Engineering field (Mechatronics, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering), advanced development methodologies, advanced PLM tools practices, and procedures.Relies on extensive experience and judgment to review engineering plans and assess engineering team readiness to accomplish goals.Leads and directs the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
Preempts potential problems and provides effective solutions in reaction to application of concepts, techniques, knowledge, or processes. Display original thinking in applying principles, theories, and concepts on a wide range of problems within the field of Mechanical Engineering.Works closely with the Heads of Electrical Systems, Controls and Firmware Engineering, Reliability Engineering, Test Engineering and Software Applications Engineering to monitor and align any unresolved resource bottlenecks as priorities and projects timelines change.Responsible for the quality of deliverables to manufacturing.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for directing and managing all Mechanical Engineering activities. Ensures compliance to all verification and testing procedures and policies of product development applicable to the product development scope.
- Successfully defines work flows, jobs, and reporting relationships to obtain optimum effectiveness of engineering groups.
- Manage cost center spending, budgets and interface with R&D project leadership for resource demands, schedule, metrics, etc.
- Lead continuous functional excellence improvement efforts for Mechanical Engineering.
- Drive complete and full integration of Mechanical Engineering Development Teams across sites; this includes not only procedural harmonization but best practice, tool usage, resource sharing, and actual daily practice.
- Must be able to provide leadership and drive continuous improvement
- Ability to evaluate, review and critique Mechanical Engineering design.
- Strong knowledge of Product Development Process and Design Control
- Senior-level (director) experience in a large global corporate matrix environment
- Attention to quality in all initiatives
- Working understanding of DfSS, Design Optimization and Robustness, Knowledge Briefs (K-Briefs) and Knowledge Gap Analysis is strongly preferred.
- Champion of Reliability Engineering
- Knowledge of GMP for tooling, molding, design and process methods.
- Demonstrated success leading highly empowered teams and working with a diverse group of people at every level in an organization
- Ability to develop high levels of credibility and forge solid professional relationships with subordinates, peers, and management
- Working knowledge of Set Based Design is highly desirable.
- Strategic project management skills - with a strong emphasis on customer projects
- Experience designing medical devices or automation equipment is strongly preferred.
- In depth knowledge and application of investigative research and analysis
- Creativity in organizational approaches to engineering solutions/issues
- Experience with new technologies and approaches in the field
- The ability to relate well and establish credibility employees and executive management.
- Demonstrated excellent performance and documented high potential for future assignments at senior levels in GEO.
- Bachelor`s Degree required (Mechanical Engineering or similar), Advanced Degree preferred, not required.
- Leadership experience at a Director or Senior Management level required. Role leads 80+ people (directly/indirectly). As a requirement, we are looking for someone who has led minimum 25+ employees (ideally multi-site) and multiple layers of employees.
- Must have previous experience with complex design, development, testing and modifications of solutions. Medical Instrument/Device experience preferred, but not required. Will consider other similar complex, regulated industry and product/instrument experience.
- Leads explanations and clarifies information to enable proper interpretation and evaluation of the most complex specifications, performance characteristics or other technical data.
- Leads and designs communication of the most complex technical and commercial issues.
- Designs recommendations for the most complex new designs, new processes, or design changes to meet requirements.
- Leads project planning and customer/marketing support for major engineering areas.
How to Apply: