Job #: 9314
Title: Manager - Central Engineering
Job Location: Trona, California - United States
Salary: $135,000.00 - $150,000.00 - US Dollars - Yearly
Employer Will Recruit From: Nationwide
Relocation Paid?: Yes
WHY IS THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?
Manager - Central Engineering - Trona, CA JOB DESCRIPTION
Excellent high desert/mountainous location for the outdoors type without the expense of the crowded coastal areas of California located in the Bakersfield / Ridgecrest / Mojave area. In this very large 500+ person inorganics production facility you will be responsible for providing management and technical expertise on large and complex engineering and construction projects through all phases of project development and execution. Responsible for leading, organizing and managing project engineers, technicians and staff who design, develop, construct and implement engineering projects. You will supervise 5 direct and a total group of about 20 will report to the VP-Operations.
-BS in Engineering with 15 years related construction and capital engineering experience.
-5 to 10 years of experience in manufacturing environment; heavy industry preferred
-At least 10 years project management experience.
-Working knowledge of industrial and chemical processes.
The candidate should have excellent computer skills including a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite. Strong analytical, verbal, writing and presentation skills are required. Must possess a demonstrated ability to create and implement innovative solutions to complex problems. Capital and expense budgeting experience required.
Seeking qualified candidates for the position of Manager-Central Engineering. This individual is responsible for providing management and technical expertise on large and/or complex engineering and construction projects across the company through all phases of project development and execution (EPC). Responsible for leading, organizing and managing the project engineers, technicians and staff who design, develop, construct and implement engineering projects. A major part of this position is to manage central engineering projects to ensure quality deliverables are completed on schedule and within budget. This position will report to the VP-Operations. Compliance with applicable State and Federal Regulations related to safety and environment is an important part of this position.
Use general and competing priorities to develop capital project options, concepts, justification, cost estimates and time lines.
- Organize, schedule and supervise efforts of Central Engineering Group to ensure engineering activities are completed on schedule and within project budget.
- Oversee execution and peer review of detailed project engineering activities including: engineering drawing review, stress analysis, project schedules, etc.
- Review and evaluate proposed projects as requested to ensure optimum technology selection, complete scope inclusion, systems and equipment are properly sized, adequate budget cost estimate is provided, proposed schedule is adequate for the scope of work and project aligned with business goals.
Lead and manage Central Engineering resources across Company by applying knowledge of engineering principles and practices. Provide engineering advice, support and assistance to subordinates and to other departments.
- Work with the various production managers to identify and prioritize engineering work needs across the company.
- Manage engineering resources to meet time-lines, deliverables and client expectations within budget.
- Provide technical consulting assistance to Company and outside engineering personnel in project management, construction management, planning, development, engineering, design, project controls, equipment specifications, procurement, project reviews, installation, checkout, start-up, and testing, troubleshooting, optimization to support project goals and plant objectives.
- Review and recommend appropriate equipment and systems for new projects and existing installations to ensure that they comply with known safety best practices, applicable codes and standards.
- Ensure that scope, schedule and cost objectives are being met on CE projects
Provide the oversight and technical support required for the negotiations and execution of contracts for selected manufacturing supplies and equipment, capital purchases, engineering services, and construction services that will ensure requirements are met in a cost effective manner.
- Oversee RFP write-ups and awards. Ensure appropriate resources are solicited and selected resources have the capacity and professional experience to have an excellent project outcome.
- Work with supply chain to review and develop relationships with key vendors so that performance and reliability is maximized at the operational level.
- Oversee project management teams relationship with vendors to ensure procurement policies are being enforced.
- Work with procurement team to create biddable work packages and verify contractor bids against cost/schedule estimates. Ensure proper bids are obtained and evaluated, costs are accurate and plans are final.
- Oversee vendor resources for construction and engineering to maximize performance standards and receive best service and value available in accordance with policy and procedure.
Performs high level reviews of capital and expense projects to ensure superior execution and policy compliance is achieved, updating appropriate management as needed.
- Prepares budgets for areas of responsibility and participates in budgeting process, including oversight of department as they provide cost estimates to Operations.
- Reviews and gives directional guidance to department on trend data related to construction and engineering activities.
- Ensure compliance with local/city/state/federal governments, building codes, and permits.
- Ensure proper environmental requirements are covered in associated contracts to ensure compliance.
- Review status reports and modify schedules or plans as required and periodically publish project status reports for upper management.
- Troubleshoot project issues and engage appropriate resources as needed to resolve. Implement and manage project changes and interventions to achieve project outputs.
Provide direct supervision and assignment planning for Central Engineering personnel.
- Provide coaching and develop tools to improve engineering and project management skills throughout the entire organization.
- Identify and develop talent within the engineering organization focusing on career progression, succession planning, knowledge transfer and increasing overall organizational capability.
Manage engineering and construction activities in an effective and efficient manner consistent with Company, State and Federal health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to achieve production and operation cost goals and ensure a safe work environment.
- Knowledge of mechanical, instrumentation, electrical equipment and process control fundamentals as it pertains to design, operation, maintenance and asset life cycle.
- Ability to investigate, research and evaluate a wide spectrum of technical problems and develop alternate solutions.
- Familiarity with manufacturing and chemical process equipment and process control.
- Ability to prioritize and provide direction and focus for the CE team.
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and work at all levels of organization as circumstances require.
- The successful candidate must be willing and able to spend up to 25% of the time in physical plant areas with occasional exposure to outdoor weather and loud noise.
- Demonstrated experience in project management with multi-faceted, long term projects.
- Ability to manage all aspects of engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) projects effectively and efficiently including, but not limited to budgeting, scheduling, submittals, change orders and closeout.
University - Bachelor`s Degree/3-4 Year Degree
How to Apply: