Under general supervision and using good laboratory practices, performs laboratory analysis of water and wastewater, adhering to all applicable local, state, and federal regulations. Maintains laboratory equipment; prepares and maintains required forms, records and reports. Performs related work as required. Reports to the Laboratory Services Manager.
Job Skills / Requirements
1. Conducts wet chemistry analysis of water and wastewater for physical and chemical parameters using various to include, but not be limited to: Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD), Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD), Total Suspended Solids (TSS), Ammonia, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, pH, Turbidity, Hardness, Conductivity, Chlorine, Alkalinity, and Fluoride.
2. Conducts microbiological analysis of water and wastewater using a variety of techniques to include, but not be limited to: Heterotrophic Plate Count, [more] Fecal Coliform, Total Coliform, and other methods.
3. Accurately prepares and files required forms, documents, and laboratory benchsheets. Enters laboratory data into Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
4. Uses and operates various computer software programs for various instruments and related software packages to perform required duties.
5. Performs tasks strictly adhering to established regulatory guidelines, laboratory certification requirements, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
6. Properly operates, calibrates, and performs general maintenance on lab equipment as required. This would include, but not be limited to, instruments, probes, meters, pumps, ovens, incubators, etc.
7. Following good chemical hygiene practices, prepares standards, reagents, media, and solutions, using appropriate chemical tracking and labeling procedures.
8. Adheres to proper laboratory and analysis quality control procedures in compliance with the Laboratory Certification Program and Quality Assurance Plan. Promptly notifies management of deviations.
9. Assists with sample collection, preservation and receiving which includes proper sampling techniques and record keeping requirements.
10. Maintains inventory of laboratory expendables and ensures adequate supplies are available to perform job assignment; assists in taking inventory and ordering supplies.
11. Maintains and washes laboratory glassware and other required materials.
12. Practices safe handling of chemicals, lab samples, and uses good housekeeping. Disposes of lab waste in accordance with environmentally safe and approved methods.
13. Performs other related duties as required. [less]
Education Requirements (Any)
Bachelor of Science in Chemistry or Biology
Certification Requirements (Any)
valid driver`s license
Additional Information / Benefits
Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry or Biology or a related field, or an Associate degree in Chemistry or Biology or a related field, with one to two years experience in a chemical or biological laboratory; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Must possess a valid driver`s license.
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan, Pension/Retirement, Educational Assistance
Screening Requirements: Motor Vehicle, Drug Screen, Criminal Background Check, Physical Exam
How to Apply:
Join Spartanburg Water and you'll reap the rewards of a career in a stable industry dedicated to the protection of public health and the environment. We promote a positive work/life balance, offering our staff flexible schedules where possible. We're members of the South Carolina Retirement System, and provide a competitive compensation package.
ATTN: Human Resources
PO Box 251
Spartanburg, SC 29304