Under limited supervision, directs plans, manages, and oversees the Asset Management Program associated with the construction and/or rehabilitation of current and future infrastructure of the collection and distribution systems. Plans, schedules, and manages staff associated with the modeling, design, drawing preparation, applicable permits, field inspection, and project management, ensuring compliance with all applicable policies, procedures, standards and regulations. Reports to the Director [more] of Water Collection and Distribution. [less]
Job Skills / Requirements
1. Manages the planning, scheduling, and oversees the activities of the Asset Management Programs associated with the construction and/or rehabilitation of current and future infrastructure associated with the collection and distribution systems. Applies proper technical and construction techniques to problems identified.
2. Supervises, leads, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee [more] performance appraisals; coordinates training activities.
3. Coordinates daily work activities; organizes, prioritizes, and assigns work; monitors duties and activities and enforces production and quality standards; monitors status of work in progress and inspects completed work; confers with assigned staff, assists with complex/problem situations, and provides technical expertise.
4. Ensures compliance with all applicable policies, procedures, standards and regulations related to the development and construction of projects to include but not limited to the DHEC General Operating Permit and encroachment and storm water permits.
5. Oversees multiple construction projects along with budget responsibility. Manages projects utilizing the PMIT process to successful completion, controlling project cost and schedule, and prepares monthly progress reports including estimated vs. actual costs as needed.
6. Develops and implements long and short-range plans for multiple projects and improvements for the Utilities; and assists in developing costs and schedules for projects identified. Facilitates the timely and efficient completion of planned projects in accordance with established guidelines, specifications and financial constraints.
7. Utilizes hydraulic models associated with the collection and distribution systems and utilizes modeling results to determine the appropriate sizing for distribution system projects, taking into consideration future growth, fire protection, and water quality and determines appropriate sizing for collection system projects taking into consideration capacity and flow characteristics. Performs costs analysis based on the results of hydraulic calculations for multiple collection and distribution construction projects.
8. Develop bid packages including advertisement for bids, contract documents, bid bonds, performance bonds, payment bonds, specifications and plans for multiple collection and distribution construction projects.
9. Creates and certifies bid tabulations based on contractor bid results. Reviews and approves contractor applications for payment and construction change orders to verify completeness and correctness for multiple collection and distribution construction projects.
10. Investigates, recommends, and utilizes new technologies associated with trenchless repair of underground collection and distribution lines in the water/wastewater utility industry.
11. Coordinates and monitors daily work activities with other governmental agencies and coordinates interagency relations as related to projects. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with public groups, agencies, the media, and others contacted in the course of work. Establishes work schedules to optimize efficiency.
12. Receives, prepares and/or processes numerous documents and reports, including material requisitions, utility damage reports, purchase orders, billing invoices, job sketches, memos, etc.
13. Interacts and communicates with various individual and groups, customers, immediate supervisor, staff, governmental agencies, other utilities, and the general public.
14. Performs other related duties as required. [less]
Education Requirements (Any)
Bachelor`s Degree is Civil or Environmental Engineering
Additional Information / Benefits
Requires a Bachelor of Science in Civil or Environmental Engineering with a minimum of 8 years experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities. Experience in the management and supervision of exempt and non-exempt personnel. Must be able to understand and utilize various construction materials and methods utilized in the maintenance and construction of water distribution and wastewater collection and knowledge of project management, construction administration and managing and scheduling of resources. Must be proficient in the use of a computer and information technology and possess a valid drivers license. Licensure as a Professional Engineer by the State of South Carolina is preferred
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan, Pension/Retirement, Educational Assistance
Screening Requirements: Motor Vehicle, Drug Screen, Criminal Background Check, Physical Exam
How to Apply:
Join Spartanburg Water and you'll reap the rewards of a career in a stable industry dedicated to the protection of public health and the environment. We promote a positive work/life balance, offering our staff flexible schedules where possible. We're members of the South Carolina Retirement System, and provide a competitive compensation package.
ATTN: Human Resources
PO Box 251
Spartanburg, SC 29304