Job Posting: Director of Nutritional Services
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Washington Regional Medical Center - Fayetteville, AR
Department: Patient Food Service
Shift: Monday - Friday Days
Job Number: JO-2205-46179
Date Posted: 5/9/2022
Washington Regional Medical Center is our regions only locally governed, community-owned, not-for-profit healthcare system. Our system includes a 425-bed acute care hospital located in the heart of Fayetteville supported by our clinic system - including primary, specialty and urgent care operations - that span across Northwest Arkansas into Harrison and Eureka Springs. Being heavily supported and invested in our community makes Washington Regional a unique employer, encouraging staff to give back to the community in which we live and work and give back to each other.
Washington Regional Mission, Vision and Values prove to be a firm foundation and inspiration from which we fulfill our purpose.
Mission: Washington Regional is committed to improving the health of people in communities we serve through compassionate, high quality care, prevention and wellness education.
Vision: To be the leading healthcare system in Northwest Arkansas --- the best place to receive care and the best place to give care.
Values: To treat others patients and their families, visitors, physicians, and each other as we would want to be treated.
Reports to Director of System Operations and is responsible for the effective administration of the Nutrition Services. Working through management subordinates, this position plans, directs and controls sanitary and therapeutic food production and food service programs to provide dietary services for patients, employees and visitors.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and develops short and long range departmental objectives and secures approval for implementation of plans and budgets necessary to meet agreed-upon goals for all three functional areas. Proposes departmental program changes as necessary in order to maintain efficiency and effectiveness of departmental operations.
- Oversees development and maintenance of quality control programs necessary to safeguard welfare of patients, personnel and equipment.
- Prepares and revises, as necessary, specific procedures for the safe disinfection, sterilization, maintenance and use of equipment in accordance with accepted scientific and technical principles.
- Develops, implements and administers department policies and procedures; confers with other Medical Center departments to develop policies and procedures to ensure efficient dietary services are provided.
- Develops and ensures maintenance of quality, quantity and cost effective food and inventory control standards in production of meals, preparation of menus, patient tray assembly, and cafeteria and catering assembly.
- Ensures department services are provided in an efficient and cost effective manner by controlling departmental capital and expense budgets, personnel utilization, equipment selection and maintenance, etc.
- Interviews, hires, trains (or monitors training of), evaluates the performance of and, when necessary, disciplines and discharges subordinate supervisory personnel. Reviews recommendations of subordinate supervisory and managerial personnel regarding employee relations matters and provides assistance and guidance in resolving complex problems.
- Develops and maintains department quality assurance pro-grams. Ensures policies and procedures meet all accreditation standards and all federal, state and local govern-mental sanitary, clinical, safety, and other regulations.
- Prepares or directs preparation of department records as well as recurring and special reports and analyses indicating number and types of regular and therapeutic diets prepared, nutritional and caloric analyses of meals, food and labor costs, sanitation irregularities, menus, food production rates and so forth as required/requested.
- Maintains contact with various Medical Center and outside professional personnel in order to gather and exchange professional program information.
- Responsible for proper use, repair and replacement of equipment in order to maintain smooth functioning of depart-mental activities.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and developments in the field by reading appropriate books, journals and other literature and attending related seminars, conferences and the like.
- Directs department research programs and cooperates with medical staff conducting nutritional research by sharing information, testing new techniques, overseeing needed research records and so forth.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Comprehensive knowledge of administrative and therapeutic aspects of food, nutrition, and food service at a level normally acquired through completion of a Bachelor`s degree in Food Service or other closely related field in order to gain necessary technical expertise. Culinary institute, MBA or other related graduate degree preferred.
- Registered Dietitian certification required, Certified Dietary Manager certification preferred.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of cook-chill food preparations systems.
- Approximately five to seven years management experience necessary, with at least two years in a supervisory capacity (of at least a staff of 50), in order to gain the skills and experience necessary to plan and direct a comprehensive Medical Center Dietetics program, including experience in retail restaurant management.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate effectively with various Medical Center personnel, vendors and other professional personnel when negotiating acquisition of supplies and equipment, and gathering and exchanging Dietetics program information.
- Successful history of overcoming adversity and making improvements in their previous positions. "Hands on" management style that is eager to be involved with the daily food operations and gain trust and support of subordinates.
- Analytical skills necessary in order to develop and administer departmental policies, procedures and budgets, prepare a variety of reports, resolve operational problems and direct and supervise a large dietary service operation. Demonstrated experience statistical analysis as appropriate for the food service environment. A clear understanding of cost accounting required.
How To Apply: