The Purchasing Agent will strategically manage the purchase of machinery, equipment, tools, parts, supplies, or services for the operations of XLT, under the direction of the Purchasing Manager for an assigned category or categories. Purchasing operations must be in accordance with quality, cost, delivery, and service specifications and expectations. Interacts with suppliers, both foreign and domestic, to maintain pricing and delivery schedules. Interacts with internal personnel as a liaison between supply orders and customer orders. Serve as backup to the Purchasing Manager.
Supervisor: Purchasing Manager
7761 West Kellogg Drive
Wichita, Kansas 67209
Production Schedule per Employment Manual
Regular, Reliable, and Physical On-Site Attendance Required
Holidays Observed: Per Employment Manual
Pay: Per Wage Scale
Benefits: Per Employment Manual
Travel: This Position requires little to no travel
1. Abide by the Quality Management System.
2. Understand that Customer satisfaction is our first priority, and the importance of compliance to statutory and regulatory requirements.
3. Protect the Company’s assets, reputation, goodwill, and stature in the marketplace at all costs.
Essential Functions: This position will perform the below listed duties consistently, accurately, timely, safely, and at the lowest feasible cost:
1. Protect the Company's assets, reputation, goodwill, and stature in the marketplace at all costs
2. Executes the strategic purchasing direction as established by management
3. Sources parts, materials, and machinery needed for the Company in an assigned category (i.e. electrical, metals, or miscellaneous)
4. Buys directly from manufacturers whenever possible
5. Negotiates pricing, terms, and lead times with vendors
6. Establishes relationships with suppliers who can provide goods/services that meet the Company’s specifications, service, delivery, and cost requirements
7. Develops contacts with each supplier in all relevant areas for special requests/assistance when needed
8. Enters vendor into the system
9. Determines minimum stock requirements
10. Determines reorder quantity requirements
11. Ensures suppliers are maintaining safety stock levels (where applicable) to ensure uninterrupted supply of goods/services.
12. Processes and maintains the following: Non-Stock Orders, Crate Orders, Sheet Metal Blank orders, Request for Quotation, and Returns
13. Interacts cross functionally with various internal departments to ensure support to most effectively define product quality, price, and service expectations
14. Strategizes for identification of alternative/redundant supplies, parts, optimization of procured quantities, etc.
15. Reviews contracts for any needed changes before presenting contracts to management
16. Supports new product launches, as well as other company projects
17. Performs value engineering, which includes a systematic method of improving the value of goods, product, and services; measuring the function vs the cost
18. Measures buying performance based on metrics outlined by management
19. Makes necessary changes in the supplier base when business needs dictate
20. Develops and maintains a high level of industry, category, customer, and consumer expertise
21. Maintains records and data regarding purchases, shipments, insurance, and related matters
22. Assists in managing weekly order status reporting
23. Reviews and resolves vendor pricing and delivery discrepancies
24. Requests and processes vendor returns
25. Processes purchase requisitions using the approved QMS process
26. Practices 5S
27. Acts as the backup for the Purchasing Manager
28. Performs any and all other duties as assigned by the President
Basic Computer, E-Mail, and Web skills are required. Most of the documentation and training is done through the use of computers.
Advanced Computer skills required are Microsoft Office (especially Excel) and Sage 50
Licenses Required: Driver’s License
Travel Documents: None
One to three years of experience in a purchasing or buying environment dealing with commercial accounts is needed; if buying electrical goods, experience is needed in global sourcing
Training Required: Per Training Matrix
Some college is preferred; High School diploma or GED is required. Deep knowledge of the assigned purchasing category is needed.
1. Must be able to stand, walk, and use hands for up to 10 hours per day.
2. Must be able to sit at a desk and use a keyboard and mouse for up to 10 hours per day.
3. Must be able to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl for 3 hours per day.
4. Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
5. Must have good close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth percept; the ability to adjust focus.
1. Must be able to count, add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
2. Must use the basic math skills above and be able to compute measurements (area, volume, pounds, square feet, etc.), as well as producing calculations needed to determine Company needs.
3. Must be able to read, speak, and write English.
4. While talking to others, convey information effectively, as this position is the “voice” and “face” of the Company.
5. Must be able to judge distances, shapes, and fits.
1. Excellent listening skills – give full attention to what other people are saying
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills, as this position may be the first representative from the Company from which the vendor forms his/her opinion of the entire Company
3. Strong analytical skills to interpret data into information upon which Company decisions may be made; using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions
4. Strong negotiating skills
5. Strong problem solving and decision-making skills
6. Knowledge of product and materials
7. Leadership and motivational skills
8. Ability to manage internal and external relationships
9. Ability to execute, prioritize, and drive multiple priorities without losing focus or momentum
10. Ability to work under pressure individually and as a part of a team
11. Able to plan prioritize his/her own work
12. Strong sense of urgency
13. Must have attention to detail and be organized
14. Strong customer service skills
15. Ability to handle urgent matters outside of normal business hours
Part time exposure to mechanical moving parts, explosives and combustibles, electrical shock, vibration, and fumes or airborne particles, loud noises, and ultraviolet light. Also part time exposure to a typical office environment.
XLT Quality Manual
Little Big Things
How to Win Friends and Influence People
How To Apply:
Go to www.xltovens.com to apply. You must submit an application, but may also attach a resume.