See all jobs in Columbia SC
Job Location: Columbia, SC
Mechanical Systems Engineer
A US corporation founded in 1905 employing 2600 people throughout the United states, with just under 150 persons at the Columbia, SC facility. This is an expanding, growing company.
WHAT THIS COMPANY OFFERS YOU:
- Group Health program through Blue Cross Blue Shield, Dental Insurance via MetLife
- 401k with matching
- Flexible Spending Plan
- Group Life / AD&D / LTD / Voluntary Life / Voluntary STD
- Holidays and Paid Vacation time
- Annual Bonus program
- Longevity of employees
- Friendly atmosphere with special employee events (Monthly Birthday celebrations, Cook outs)
THE ROLE YOU WILL PLAY:
This is a new position and along with the Electrical Systems Engineer, will form the Technical Systems Group for this heavy industrial manufacturer. This position reports to the Senior Engineer. Limited domestic travel to other facilities within the company. This person is responsible for applying mechanical engineering and organizational skills to design and implement projects involving facilities, testing, machines, equipment, or processes used in manufacturing piping products including management of multiple projects. This individual has no direct reports but may lead cross-functional teams involved in troubleshooting and continuous improvement activities. Equipment and tools used: Forklifts, cranes, grinders, welding equipment, steel cutting equipment, general maintenance tools, and laptop. This opportunity has strong growth opportunity.
- Support manufacturing activities in processing materials or manufacturing products in an industrial large diameter spiral weld pipe and steel fabrication facility
- Prepare Routine Reports, O&M instructions
- Manage multiple Technical Systems projects, to include: implementation, including development, budgeting, scheduling, purchasing, and interfacing with other employees
- Design and /or facilitate designs for modification of existing equipment, tools, or facilities as required to support manufacturing process requirements, including completing O&M manuals
- Manufacturing equipment, tools or facilities as required to support manufacturing process requirements.
- Direct support of and/or participation in equipment and facilities related maintenance activities and production activities
- Interfacing with vendors and outside contractors to develop budgets, as well as directing completing facilities and equipment construction, modification, or repair.
- Modification of existing equipment and facilities
- Participate in developing and maintaining the division CAPEX program
- Review Product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine the applicability to the target manufacturing process
- Use computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to design equipment and facilities, and perform engineering tasks
- Analyze product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine designs which can be produced by existing manufacturing or processing facilities and methods
- Analyze engineering proposals, process requirements, and related technical data pertaining to industrial machinery and equipment design
- Provide technical information regarding manufacturing or processing techniques, materials, properties, and process advantages and limitations that affect long-range plant and product engineering planning
- Compile and analyze operational, test, and research data to establish performance standards for newly designed or modified equipment
- Bachelors degree from an accredited 4-year college or university in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology. Two types of candidates will be considered: New graduate to 3years experience who has had significant experience in co-op and /or internship at a heavy industrial manufacturer related to basic machine design. A person with 4 or more years experience heavy industrial manufacturing facility.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Knowledge of Machine design, hydraulics, Electro Mechanical Drives
- Must have SolidWorks and and full knowledge of MS EXCEL, WORD, and PowerPoint
- Must have a Continuous Improvement mindset, be the type of person who looks for solutions and ways to improve operations and processes.
- Ability to work with multiple groups maintenance, other engineers, floor operations
- Start-up experience a plus
- Person who has been involved with starting or participating in a similar job at a manufacturing facility is a plus
- Good Communication skills
- Certifications, licenses, etc. a plus
How To Apply:
You will be directed to another website for application instructions.