See all jobs in Ottawa KS
Job Location: Ottawa, KS
System Development Engineer, Electrical, Controls & Mechatronics
TITLE: SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
AREA: South Kansas City
SALARY: $ 90,000 +
Our client, a part of the worlds largest designer and manufacturer of cargo and freight handling equipment has commissioned Sterling St. James, LLP to source, screen and qualify candidates for a position as Systems Development Electrical / Controls Engineer. They are the industry forerunner in terminal automation and energy efficient container handling with seamless integration of their products and processes.
They have constantly been the innovators and leaders in leading edge designs and quality improvements continuously setting the bar higher and higher with industry firsts. This is nearly a 2 billion dollar company withy personnel and operations in over 100 countries and employing over 5,000 people.
The Electrical & Controls Engineer develops and coordination of systems design for Electronics & Controls for the development of Commercial equipment for the complete product line. This will include developing the topology and architecture, the electrical logical schematics and system requirements, and specifying the communication requirements and database for all components.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Development of electrical system architecture and logical schematics.
- Development of software controls, vehicle topology, communication protocols, and architecture for networked components.
- Ensures completion of engineering activities for meeting platform goals.
- Fosters an environment that welcomes and encourages new and innovative design concepts, inventions, patents and product opportunities for improvement giving the company a competitive edge over industry competitors.
- Contributes to the overall profitability of new and existing products
- Contributes to the increase of overall product quality
- Contributes to cost reduction ideas related to component design on new and existing products
- Frequently provides recommendations to direct managers and/or to other managers
- Frequently communicates with cross functional support groups within the product platform and/or component product lines
- Frequently communicates with suppliers
- On occasions, may communicate with dealers and equipment users regarding existing product issues
Qualifications, Skills & Knowledge:
- Understand/Develop/Update/Maintain the vehicle requirements that must be implemented in the controls and electrical network architecture. Document electrical and controls best practices and design guides.
- Create and implement companies electrical and controls standards and best practices.
- Develop Network Databases for CAN, LIN, and Ethernet.
- Develop vehicle network topologies by implementing companys standards.
- Understand current vehicle architecture and plan upgrades.
- Develop Electronic Component Communication Specifications.
- Develop executable models of vehicle network behavior.
- Perform analysis of modelled vehicle networks and implemented vehicle networks for common network design problems, e.g. loading, latency, fault tolerance, quality of service.
- Participate/Lead design reviews, DFMEAs and develop and manage validation plans
- Provides frequent team progress updates to direct manager as needed.
- Ensures the use of engineering standards, methodologies and global product development processes into engineering teams daily work tasks.
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering, BSEE or Computer Engineering BSCE is required
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in electrical controls & mechatronics system engineering
- Good knowledge of pneumatics, hydraulic and electrical systems and related equipment
- Theoretical and applied knowledge of design of six sigma principles
- Theoretical and applied knowledge of lean principles
- Theoretical and applied knowledge of scrum development methodologies
- Strong skills in ECAD system and good skills in 3D MCAD systems, Catia V5 experience preferred
- Strong understanding of assembly processes and good understanding of manufacturing processes
- Strong background in working in a project based product development environment and processes
- Strong aptitude in electrical, controls, and mechatronic design
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts
- Good problem solving skills (define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and solutions)
- Sense of urgency
- Ability to work under pressure
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- An extensive amount of independent thinking is required
- Able to work under minimal supervision, with management guidance
- Strong communications skills:
If you are qualified and want to take the next step, send your resume in MS Word format as an attachment for immediate consideration.
This is a solid global company with years of manufacturing quality products for the transportation industries. The products they produce, sell and service are tops in the industry. The company has great benefits and competitive salaries with an incredible career path. This is a great opportunity take the next step!
How To Apply:
You will be directed to another website for application instructions.