See all jobs in Philadelphia PA
Job Location: Philadelphia, PA
The Research Scientist is a key member of the Liver Discovery Research Group and participates in the development of Sparks liver-targeted gene therapy products. She/he will actively participate in the development of novel targets, facilitating translation from in vitro through in vivo proof of concept.
He/she will be responsible for:
- Collaborating with other Translational Research Scientists to develop pre-clinical programs from early discovery to the clinic.
- Designing and conducting in vitro and in vivo experiments to optimize pre-clinical development of liver-directed candidates.
- Initiating and overseeing joint programs with external collaborators.
- Writing study reports, manuscripts and present results at appropriate scientific meetings.
The Senior Research Scientist position requires extensive experience with molecular biology, biochemistry and immunoassays including:
- Design and construction of optimized gene expression cassettes to increase transgene expression derived from liver cells.
- Experience with design, execution, and data analysis of experimental studies utilizing both cell-based and in vivo models.
- Some experience or familiarity with liver-directed gene therapy and/or AAV vectors is preferred.
- Work in the labs to perform experiments described above in the primary job duties
- Design experiments, organize, discuss, and record experimental data.
- Generate technical reports, prepare presentation slides, generate novel concepts.
- Trainings, lab meetings and administration work
- Experience in general and advanced lab techniques such as molecular cloning, plasmid design and construction, qPCR, ELISA, luciferase and enzymatic activity assays, SDS-PAGE/western blotting, etc.
- Experience with studies in laboratory animals.
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving capabilities
- Proven ability to work independently in hands-on laboratory setting, self-motivated to learn and develop new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills
- Familiar with computer software commonly used in bio/pharma industries.
- Works with colleagues as a team player.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong publication record is a plus.
- Experience managing external collaborations is a plus.
- Experience with AAV vectors is preferred.
- Ph.D. in relevant scientific discipline required (e.g. cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, etc.)
- Generally has at least 5 years of hands-on research experience with gene therapies targeting the liver
WHO WE ARE:
Transforming Patients Lives. Spark Therapeutics is a pioneering gene therapy leader transforming the lives of patients suffering from debilitating genetic diseases by developing one-time, life-altering treatments. We are embarking on our goal to deliver the first approved gene therapy product in the US for genetic blinding conditions and have a product pipeline addressing other unmet rare genetic diseases. We have an entrepreneurial culture and are looking for talented and passionate professionals who are committed and motivated to making a difference in the lives of our patients. If you share our passion for excellence and are looking for a dynamic work environment that fosters creativity, scientific innovation and team collaboration, you may be a great fit for our team.
How To Apply:
You will be directed to another website for application instructions.