See all jobs in Lenexa KS
Job Location: Lenexa, KS
TITLE: EMBEDDED SOFTWARE ENGINEER
INDUSTRY: DESIGN / CONSULTING
AREA: KANSAS CITY
Our client, a leading product design, development and manufacturer with a strong global influence and reach has commissioned Sterling St. James, LLC to help them secure a top engineer to supplement their staff of engineers.
Their off shore production facilities are significant but the design and development of products is done in Kansas City. They have major strengths in software development, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and industrial design.
The Sr Software Engineer is responsible for designing and developing software to meet client’s expectations for company development products. This responsibility includes the system and modular design, software development, verification and validation as well as documenting the design and development in a manner that complies with the companies Quality System Procedures and Work Instructions.
The Software Engineer requires minimal direction and is expected to handle more complex and multiple projects. The Software Engineer demonstrates a leadership role with others and provides technical leadership to the organization. The Software Engineer mentors, trains and assists other members of their team in technically difficult situations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Complies with Software Development Procedure and Coding Protocols per company standards.
• Make constructive suggestions for improvements to these standards.
2. Responsible for designing software for development projects that meet performance, safety and client expectations.
• Satisfactorily meets client’s requests and specifications.
• Able to provide quality work, free of errors or waste; accomplishing organizational and departmental quality goals.
• Interact with client’s and vendors (i.e. test labs, microprocessor application engineers, etc.), – both in-house and at client/vendor locations.
3. Assumes and fulfills job assignments while meeting schedules and milestones.
• Participate in the quoting and risk assessment process by providing accurate and on time estimates for development projects.
• Demonstrates task ownership for job assignments.
4. Sets priorities and engages in assignments, making good use of time and training.
• Identifies factors needed to fulfill project duties and effectively communicate those needs to the appropriate person and project manager. (i.e. Protocol for communication to an external device.)
• Sends updates on a routine basis to Development Team providing status on project milestones and estimated completion dates.
• Maintain weekly loading / activity report.
5. Uses relevant skills and knowledge to fulfill the responsibilities for this role. Skilled in problem solving and seeks appropriate level of supervision in relation to job duties.
6. Contribute to the system design and development, working with the Design Team to evaluate alternate solutions.
• Contribute to product and system level test plans for the verification / validation process as well as manufacturing tests procedures.
• Supports the Design Team in trouble-shooting system level problems on microprocessor-based products in using debugging tools, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers etc.
• Evaluates and suggests feasibility on assigned proposed projects.
• Develops design plans and engineering specifications for the software portion of a product design.
7. Makes good use of time and can set priorities to meet organizational and departmental goals.
8. Mentors less experienced Software Engineer(s), assisting them with technical problems; training on correct design methods; sharing knowledge and encouraging job and skill growth.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent work-related experience.
- Experience developing firmware for medical devices is preferred, or a highly regulated environment.
- Familiar with ISO 13485, IEC 60601 -1 Clause 14 and IEC 62304 preferred
- 10 years developing real time embedded software.
- Experienced in C/ C++
- Real time operating systems RTOS or Free RTOS
- Linux experience a plus.
- Familiarity with software version control tools.
- Working knowledge of principles, concepts, theories and/or practices of Software Engineering, (i.e. design, repair and analysis of software systems)
- Advanced problem-solving project management, data analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Sound ability to manage time, make quality decisions, manage and measure work.
- Advanced analytical skills
- A self-starter able to multitask successfully.
- Advanced leadership skills
- Strong communications skills will be required both internally and with offshore engineers (in which English is not their first language) and directly with the customers.
- Current on design methodology and technical skills.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Advanced understanding of Software design.
- Must be effective in a team environment.
If you feel you are qualified and have an interest in pursuing this position send your resume in MS Word format as an attachment for immediate consideration.
This is a rapidly growing company with a strong 40-year history of doing what they do. Because of what they do and how they address the market you will be able to gain an incredible amount of industry experience in a variety of products and specialties without changing firms. Experience is what counts in today’s employment market. This is a great career opportunity!
How To Apply:
You will be directed to another website for application instructions.