Location: Baltimore, MD Category: Staff Posted On: Mon Jun 14 2021 Job Description:
GPEP is seeking a Director of Advancement with demonstrated success setting and realizing ambitious fundraising goals. The right candidate brings the necessary experience to sustainably support GPEP students' educations through a diversified strategy including grants from regional and national foundations, individual giving, events, and relationship development with new and existing partners.
The Director of Advancement builds on existing successful practices to raise the financial support necessary for the operation of GPEP. This position serves as the primary fundraiser responsible for an approximately $1.4 million annual budget and works in close collaboration with GPEP's Executive Director and Goucher College's Office of Advancement.
This position is based on Goucher's Towson campus, with occasional responsibilities at Goucher College's additional locations inside state prisons in Jessup, Maryland as well as offsite responsibilities related to donors and other partners.
The GPEP Director of Advancement position travels regularly to stakeholder meetings, largely in the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. area, and to prison locations as needed.
Fundraising & Relationship Building (60%)
- Build and nurture meaningful relationships with stakeholders including individual donors, regional and national foundations, corporations, and other funders. This currently includes 3000+ stakeholders including 45+ major donors;
- Engage potential donors and stakeholders with GPEP's mission and impact; successfully identify, cultivate and solicit potential and current donors;
- Create a strategy to build awareness and support of GPEP among new audiences locally, regionally, and nationally;
- Communicate with stakeholders including sharing regular updates, one-on-one engagement, formal reporting/communications, and appreciation for support;
- Research and identify opportunities for and write, revise, and submit grant proposals, reports, and related budgets and all related attachments (currently approximately 20 proposals per year plus reporting);
- Accurately track timelines and ensure internal and external deadlines are met;
- Communicate and coordinate successfully with stakeholders internal and external to the College (relationship building, communication, project management, grant and report writing, budgets, etc.);
- Work closely with Goucher's Office of Advancement to ensure excellent donor management and coordination;
- Engage and manage volunteer and other stakeholder's participation in GPEP fundraising efforts; and
- Continue to widen and deepen relationships with such stakeholders.
Event Management (20%)
- Plan and manage GPEP's stakeholder and fundraising events including house parties, stakeholder lunches/coffees/breakfasts, informational sessions, presentations, graduation/impact celebrations, etc., participation in larger public-facing events, and targeted diverse stakeholders' events;
- In collaboration with Goucher's Office of Communications, manage engagement with the media including the coordination with staff, faculty, alumni, prison partners;
- Manage event logistics including arrangements, planning processes, and paperwork for such opportunities;
- Lead, coordinate and manage the success of guest visits to Goucher classes and with Goucher students in the prisons (typically 4-6 events per year with up to 150 total external participants), including faculty, administrators, donors, press, and government officials; and
- Serve as representative for GPEP & Goucher College at relevant conferences and other events.
Marketing & Communication (10%)
- Plan, create, and distribute communications to GPEP contacts, utilizing and building on GPEP's existing messaging and framing;
- Draft, curate, and update brochure and website content as needed; and
- In consultation with GPEP's Executive Director and Goucher College's Office of Communications and the Office of Advancement, create and produce 4-6 annual postal and/or email campaigns to current and prospective donors.
Related Project Management (10%)
- In collaboration with GPEP's Executive Director, create and monitor the program's annual operating budget;
- Create budgets as needed internally for funders;
- Maintain accurate records for grants, donations, and development-related expenses and document them accurately in GPEP records;
- Maintain records of upcoming grants, proposals, deliverables, and shared electronic files including all submitted grants, reports, supporting documents, etc.; and
- Manage the gift acknowledgment process including ensuring Goucher's Office of Advancement has needed information for processing and providing official acknowledgment for gifts.
Some evening and occasional weekend hours are required.
A Bachelor's degree is required; an advanced degree preferred. A minimum of four (4) years of experience with frontline fundraising experience is required; experience building philanthropic partnerships with national foundations is strongly preferred.
Strong organizational, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills; demonstrated experience and success with grant writing and reporting, creating content for marketing materials, communication with stakeholders including funders and prospective funders, students, and staff; demonstrated experience creating, managing, and maintaining internal and external budgets including accurately projecting and updating income from funders; and sophisticated project management experience, with demonstrated success accomplishing broad and visionary assignments, as well as complex, detailed projects in fast-paced environments.
If this sounds like a compelling opportunity, and you are innovative, a strong collaborator, with the skill set described above, we would love to hear from you!
SALARY AND COMPENSATION
The salary for this position is expected to be between $70,000 and $75,000, in addition to a comprehensive benefits package.